Frequently Asked Questions


What methods of payment are accepted for citations and fines?
Can I make partial payments?
What methods of payment are available?
Can I take a driver safety course?
What is deferred disposition?
How do I plead no contest or not guilty?

What methods of payment are accepted for citations and fines?
We accept cash, personal checks, cashier's checks, money orders and credit cards (Visa, Mastercard and Discover).   .  Click here to pay online.

Can I make partial payments?
A defendant must qualify for a time pay agreement and the request must be made in person.  There will be an additional $25.00 fee added to the fine. The additional fee is required by State Law and can not be waived by the Court. Time Pay Agreements are not available by phone, mail, fax or online.

What methods of payment are available?
Payments can be made in person at the office during regular office hours. Payment by cashier check or money order can be made through the use of the U. S. Post Office, Federal Express, and UPS. You may also pay online using a credit card.

Can I take a Driver Safety Course?
If you have a commercial driver's license, you cannot take a driver safety course for dismissal of your citation. If you have been charged with a moving traffic violation and were not charged with speeding 25 or more miles over the posted speed limit, you may be able to request to take a Driver Safety Course for dismissal of your citation.

If you were charged with any of the following offenses, you DO NOT qualify for dismissal of your citation by way of a Driver Safety Course.

  • Sec. 545.066 Passing a school bus
  • Sec. 545.421 Fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer
  • Sec. 550.022 Accident involving damage to vehicle
  • Sec. 550.023 Duty to give information and render aid

To qualify for a driver safety course, you must present a request in person to the Court, or send a written request by mail, (postmarked on or before the appearance date on the lower left corner of the citation).

You will need to pay $114.00 (or $139.00 if violation occurred in a school zone) at the time of your request by cashier's check or money order. We accept cash if paying in person. DO NOT TAKE THE DRIVER SAFETY COURSE UNTIL YOU HAVE RECEIVED PERMISSION FROM THE COURT.

When making your request, you will need to:

   1. Enter a plea of either no contest or guilty;
   2. You must provide a copy of your Driver's License. You must have a valid Texas Driver's License. (Commercial License does not qualify).
   3. You must provide proof of financial responsibility (insurance), and it must be in effect at the time you make your request.

Click here and print the driver safety request form.

What is Deferred Disposition (Probation)?
Deferred Disposition Policy Requirements for Deferred Disposition in Municipal Court:
  • Commercial Drivers License holders do not qualify for Deferred Disposition.
  • A Defendant is allowed to be on Deferred Disposition once every 6 months in this Court.
  • The Defendant must enter a plea of no contest or guilty and make a request to the Court for Deferred Disposition.
  • The request for Deferred Disposition must be made by the due date on the citation.
  • If the request for Deferred Disposition is made by mail, it must be postmarked on or before the due date on the ticket.
  • The amount of the fine and the Court costs must be paid at the time of your request. Go to the online record search tab, find the offense charged and the fine amount. Deferred Disposition will increase your fine by $50.00.

When a request is made to the Court in a timely manner and all requirements are met, the Defendant will be granted Deferred Disposition.  Sworn Request for Deferred Disposition

How do I plead no contest?
If you desire to enter a plea of no contest or guilty and pay the fine on your citation, look up your offense in our on-line record search tab to find your fine amount or click on the payment of fines tab to pay on line.  If paying by mail, complete the Waiver and Plea Form , include a cashier's check or money order for the fine amount.  This must be done on or before the appearance date on your citation.
If the plea and fine amount are not postmarked on or before the appearance date, the fine will be increased to the maximum amount allowed by law for that offense, plus all state court costs and fees.

How do I plead Not Guilty : 

Appear at the arraignment date on your citation to enter your plea of Not guilty. 

City Hall East
601 E. Hickory St.,
Suite D
Denton, Texas 76205
Phone: (940) 349-8331
Fax: (940) 349-8325