This year’s application period is now open! Please remember, only trees purchased between Sept. 1, 2016 and May 1, 2017 will qualify for rebates within this application period.
Partner with the City of Denton and Keep Denton Beautiful, Inc. to increase the value of your property and improve the livability of our city! The Tree Rebate Program is one of six programs under the Denton Tree Initiative, a citywide campaign with the goal of planting 12,000 new trees in Denton by 2019. Tree Rebates are available to City of Denton utility customers when planting a qualifying native or adapted tree species within the Denton city limits.
How It Works
- Purchase up to five qualifying trees between Sept. 1, 2016 and May 1, 2017. Each tree must be at least five gallons in size and cost a minimum of $50, including any taxes.
- Complete your application online or by mail. Attach a copy of your paid invoice or receipt, indicating the date of purchase, supplier name and address, size of the tree(s), and total price of the tree(s).
- Submit or mail your completed application. Applications must be postmarked or submitted electronically by May 15, 2017.
- Plant your tree within 15 days of purchase, following these guidelines:
- Plant on a property owned by you. If you do not own the property, you must obtain consent from the owner prior to planting. Trees must be planted within the Denton city limits.
- Plant at least 10 feet away from the foundation of any nearby buildings.
- Do not plant within utility easements. If the tree(s) is expected to exceed a maximum height of 25 feet when fully grown, plant at least 20 feet away from overhead utility lines. Follow the Right Tree, Right Place Guidelines, and research your tree species maximum height and canopy spread prior to planting.
- Do not plant in a location that will obstruct any line of site for traffic.
- Additional planting and tree care resources, including How to Plant a Container Tree, are available through Keep Denton Beautiful at www.kdb.org.
- Look for your refund of $50 per qualifying tree on your City of Denton Utility Service statement within 10 weeks or less.
- Enjoy and care for your trees!
About the Tree Rebate Program
Funding for the City of Denton Tree Rebate Program comes from the City’s Tree Mitigation Fund, as part of the Denton Tree Initiative. Read more about additional opportunities for tree planting and tree education through the Denton Tree Initiative at www.dentontreeinitiative.com.
Deadlines and Restrictions
The second year application period for the Tree Rebate Program extends from Sept. 1, 2016 to May 1, 2017, or until funds are expended. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Rebates will not be applied to trees planted as part of a City of Denton landscape plan, or tree preservation/mitigation requirement.
For questions, please call (940) 349-8737 or email email@example.com.