Community Development implements programs and projects that strengthen families and neighborhoods by partnering with human service agencies.
Join the Affordable Housing Conversation
The City of Denton is currently in Phase 2 of an affordable housing assessment. Community Development is seeking community input to prioritize, plan, and implement affordable housing goals in Denton. Read the Phase 1 report and let us know what affordable housing means for you, your family or business on the City's interactive online engagement platform,
Homeless Solutions Funding Available
The City of Denton supports critical homeless response tools that strengthen the county-wide Housing Crisis Response System. Street Outreach is a valuable tool in our system to ensure that people living on the street are provided information and referrals; have access to emergency shelter (if available); and are assessed and prioritized for housing placement, crisis intervention, and follow-up support. Rapid Re-Housing is a permanent housing solution that provides housing relocation and stabilization services to help an individual or family experiencing homelessness move as quickly as possible into permanent housing and supports them with wrap-around services to gain stability in that housing.
Applications are open from August 2 through August 30 for the City's annual Street Outreach and Rapid Rehousing grants. Eligible applicants must be:
- 501(c)3 nonprofits in operation for more than two years
- Providing services to people experiencing homelessness
- Currently using Denton County's Homeless Management Information System Database and actively participating in the Denton County Coordinated Entry Process
- Currently participating in monthly Case Conferencing through the Denton County Homelessness Leadership Team
Eligible nonprofits can apply by August 30 at 11:59 pm.
- 2021 to 2022 City of Denton Street Outreach Grant Application, up to $64,600 available
- 2021 to 2022 City of Denton Rapid Rehousing Grant Application, up to $100,000 available
Services We Provide
First-time home buyers, home owners with home repair needs and renters in need of rental assistance may find resources to help. Housing Programs managed by Community Development include:
Housing Assistance Services
The City works with several partners who provide housing assistance services:
- Denton Housing Authority offers rental assistance, call 940-383-1504.
- Denton Affordable Housing Corporation offers ADA properties to rent, call 940-484-7048
- Habitat for Humanity of Denton County constructs, rehabilitates, and preserves homes
How We Help
The City of Denton is committed to improving the lives of our residents. By leveraging local, state and federal funding, the Community Development division provides support to human service programs, public facility projects and housing projects serving low-to-moderate-income City of Denton residents.
The City of Denton will provide $1,516,855 of financial assistance in 2020-2021 to support various human service projects in Denton County. The direct financial support to each of the local human service agencies will aid in the stability of their assistance programs.
Community Development Block Grant
The City of Denton utilizes Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME Investment Partnership Program funding to revitalize neighborhoods and provide safe, stable housing in low-to-moderate-income areas in the city limits of Denton. In the 2020-2021 program year, the City of Denton will provide $1,308,914 in financial assistance to support facility improvements and affordable housing projects that serve low-income households. Click here for a breakdown of the financial assistance provided to support housing and public facility improvements.