- Community & Quality of Life
- Community Services
- Community Development
- Home Buyer Assistance
Home Buyer Assistance
The City of Denton helps low-and-moderate-income families with the down payment assistance and closing costs to buy their first home. Assistance is in the form of a forgivable loan at 0% interest for five years.
- House must be in the city limits of Denton, includes condos and town homes.
- Sales price of the house cannot exceed program guidelines.
- Household income limits apply.
- English Home Buyer Assistance Program Eligibility Requirements (PDF)
- Spanish Home Buyer Assistance Program Eligibility Requirements (PDF)
- Attend a homebuyer education workshop.
- Contact a lender from the List of Participating Lenders (PDF) to determine eligibility and receive pre-approval for a mortgage.
- Contact a realtor from the List of Participating Realtors (PDF). The realtor can assist you in finding a home.
- If the lender determines that you may qualify for home buyer assistance, they will contact City staff to submit the application on your behalf.
Homebuyer Education Workshops
All persons receiving assistance from the program must attend a Homebuyer Education Class through a HUD-approved housing counseling agency. Visit the HUD Exchange website to find additional information for counseling agencies:
- Dallas Home Loan Counseling Center: Classes in English and Spanish
Phone: (214) 819-6060
- Homebuyer Funds: Online course with test in English
- MGIC Investment Corporation: Online course with test in English and Spanish
- Transformance: Classes in English and Spanish
Phone: (800) 249-2227
- BCL of Texas: Classes in English
Phone: (214) 688-7456
- Tarrant County Housing Partnership: Classes in English and Spanish
Phone: (817) 924-5091
Lenders & Realtors
The City of Denton partners with participating lenders and realtors to assist first-time home buyers. If you are interested in becoming a participating lender or realtor, check this page to see when the next two-hour certification course will be held.
Upcoming Lender & Realtor Certification Courses
Currently, there are no scheduled courses. Courses will be listed here when available.
To register for the certification course, email Alma Espino or call (940) 349-7756. In your request, please include:
- The Attendees' Name(s)
- Email Address
- Phone Number