Active Adult and Senior Programs
We strive to UNITE and GROW the lives of active adults and seniors while promoting physical and social well-being, community involvement, independence, and PLAY!
Denton Parks and Rec offers health, fitness, and recreation programs for adults age 50 and over.
To register for programs and activities, visit dentonparkscatalog.com.
Denton Senior Center
509 N. Bell Ave.
Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
8 a.m. - Noon
American Legion Hall Senior Center
629 Lakey St.
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
SilverSneakers, Silver&Fit, and Renew Active by United Healthcare (UHC) are fitness programs designed specifically for active older adults delivered through a nationwide network of participating insurance plans. To check eligibility, visit the SilverSneakers website, the Silver&Fit website, and the UHC Renew Active website.
- Unlimited attendance of all group exercise membership classes
- Unlimited use of the cardio equipment and weight rooms at all recreation centers
- REC PASS activities at all recreation centers
- NAT Membership and water aerobics classes at the NAT
Denton Parks and Rec accepts all fitness programs offered through SilverSneakers and Silver&Fit through parent companies Tivity Health and American Specialty Health Inc. This includes but is not limited to:
- Well on Target
- WholeHealth Living
Participate in group-ex! Our Group Exercise membership includes access to all five rec centers and fitness classes at all centers taught by certified instructors.
There are classes for all levels or abilities. You can start with a beginner class and work your way to higher-intensity classes to get the workout you need.
Separate from the Group Exercise programs, there are many other options for you to stay active at any age or ability. Many of these classes are taught by qualified contractors for an additional fee.
- Tai Chi
- Partnered Ballroom and Country
- Line Dance Lessons
- Hip Hop
Denton Senior Centers love to celebrate for any and every reason! Special events are anything from holiday-themed social gatherings, to one-off type events, intergenerational events, and so much more!
Some of the most popular include:
- Valentine's Dinner and Dance
- Mardi Gras Party
- Mother's Day Brunch
- Juneteenth Picnic
- Fourth of July Celebration
- Veterans Day Ceremony
- Thanksgiving Luncheon
- Cozy Christmas
- New Year's Eve Celebration
Throughout the year, there are several special events (typically around a holiday) with music, entertainment, dancing, and games!
- Live Entertainment (monthly)
- Choir Groups
- Young at Heart or New Horizons Band
Engaging in creative mediums is a great way to stay active and be social at the same time. Programs offered for adults 50+ at both senior center locations may include:
- Painting (oil, acrylic, watercolor)
- Crochet, knitting, sewing
- Woodshop usage and classes
Education is a huge resource the seniors centers offer. Learn from industry leaders and health professionals from diverse older adults and senior resources. We love to host seminars from areas of interest that may include:
- Insurance/Medicare Options
- Real Estate/Downsizing
- Senior Living Placement
- Mental Health
- Preventative Screenings
- City Departments (Construction, Library, etc.)
Volunteering at the Senior Centers
Volunteers are the driving force of many of the programs and activities. Current participants and community members alike are invited to volunteer at our senior center locations. There are a variety of ways to serve.
Denton Parks and Rec has teamed up with OLLI at UNT to provide learning opportunities to adults 50+. OLLI at UNT is a lifelong learning program that offers non-credit courses and events designed by and for adults 50 and better. It is a community of curious minds, adventurous hearts, and welcoming members. To explore the program, go to olli.unt.edu for membership benefits and more! Most importantly, all Rec Pass holders and fitness members ages 50+ will receive a discounted rate on the annual OLLI membership.
Here are a few simple steps to get started:
- Sign up for a Rec Pass at any Rec or Senior Center for just $15/year (residents) or $25/year (non-residents)
- Sign up for an OLLI membership for $85, instead of $150! Online, by phone, or in-person. Head to to olli.unt.edu/register for full OLLI registration options
- Enjoy all the benefits available from Denton Parks & Rec and OLLI at UNT
Special Programs for Aging Needs (SPAN) Meals
- Weekdays at 11:30 a.m. at Denton Senior Center
Coordinated by SPAN. Lunches may be reserved up to one week in advance but no later than noon the day before. The suggested donation is $2 for those 60 and older, individuals younger than 60 may eat for $6.
Please stop by the kitchen from 8 a.m. to noon to register for lunches, or call the SPAN office at (940) 382-2224.