We strive to UNITE and GROW the lives of active adults and seniors while promoting physical and social well-being, community involvement, independence, and PLAY!
Denton Parks and Rec offers health, fitness, and recreation programs for adults age 50 and over.
To register for programs and activities, visit dentonparkscatalog.com.
Hours and Locations
Denton Senior Center
509 N. Bell Ave.
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
American Legion Hall Senior Center
629 Lakey St.
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Insurance Programs
- SPAN Lunches
- Group Exercise Classes
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Arts & Crafts
- Health & Wellness
- Music & Entertainment
- Movement & Fitness
- Special Events
- OLLI at UNT
SilverSneakers, Silver&Fit, and Renew Active by United Healthcare (UHC) are fitness programs designed specifically for active older adults delivered through a nationwide network of participating insurance plans. To check eligibility, visit the SilverSneakers website, the Silver&Fit website, and the UHC Renew Active website.
- Unlimited attendance of all group exercise membership classes
- Unlimited use of the cardio equipment and weight rooms at all recreation centers
- REC PASS activities at all recreation centers
- NAT Membership and water aerobics classes at the NAT
Denton Parks and Rec accepts all fitness programs offered through SilverSneakers and Silver&Fit through parent companies Tivity Health and American Specialty Health Inc. This includes but is not limited to:
- Well on Target
- WholeHealth Living
Special Programs for Aging Needs (SPAN) Meals
- Weekdays at noon at Denton Senior Center
Coordinated by SPAN. Lunches may be reserved up to one week in advance but no later than noon the day before. The suggested donation is $2 for those 60 and older, individuals younger than 60 may eat for $5.
Participate in group ex! Our Group Exercise membership includes access to all five rec centers and fitness classes at all centers.
Visit the Health and Fitness page to learn more.
There are senior-focused classes, however, all classes can be modified for any fitness level.
Volunteering at the Senior Centers
Volunteers are the driving force of many of the programs and activities. Current participants and community members alike are invited to volunteer at our senior center locations. There are a variety of ways to serve.
To learn more about volunteering with us, please reach out to Jane.Riddlecityofdenton.com or [email protected].
Engaging in creative mediums is a great way to stay active and be social at the same time. Programs offered for adults 50+ at both senior center locations may include:
- Painting (oil, acrylic, watercolor)
- Crochet, knitting, sewing
- Woodshop usage and classes
Education is a huge resource the seniors centers offer. Learn from industry leaders and health professionals from diverse older adults and senior resources. We love to host seminars from areas of interest that may include:
- Insurance/Medicare Options
- Real Estate/Downsizing
- Senior Living Placement
- Mental Health
- Preventative Screenings
- City Departments (Construction, Library, etc.)
Throughout the year, there are several special events (typically around a holiday) with music, entertainment, dancing, and games!
- Live Entertainment (monthly)
- Choir Groups
- Young at Heart or New Horizons Band
Separate from the Group Exercise programs, there are many other options for you to stay active at any age or ability.
- Tai Chi
- Drum Jam
- Middle Eastern Dancing (Belly Dancing)
- Line Dance Lessons
- Social Dance Lessons (Jitterbug, 2-step, Salsa, Waltz, etc.)
- Open Rec Pickleball
Denton Senior Centers love to celebrate for any and every reason! Special events are anything from holiday-themed social gatherings, to one-off type events, intergenerational events, and so much more!
Some of the most popular include:
- Mother's Day Brunch
- Juneteenth Picnic
- Fourth of July Celebration
- Thanksgiving Luncheon
- Cozy Christmas
Denton Parks and Rec has teamed up with OLLI at UNT to provide learning opportunities to adults 50+. OLLI at UNT is a lifelong learning program that offers non-credit courses and events designed by and for adults 50 and better. It is a community of curious minds, adventurous hearts, and welcoming members. To explore the program, go to olli.unt.edu for membership benefits and more! Most importantly, all Rec Pass holders and fitness members ages 50+ will receive a discounted rate on the annual OLLI membership.
Here are a few simple steps to get started:
- Sign up for a Rec Pass at any Rec or Senior Center for just $10/year (residents) or $15/year (non-residents)
- Sign up for an OLLI membership for $85, instead of $150! Online, by phone, or in-person. Head to to olli.unt.edu/register for full OLLI registration options
- Enjoy all the benefits available from Denton Parks & Rec and OLLI at UNT