Simply Sustainable Framework
In 2020, the Denton City Council unanimously passed the update Simply Sustainable - A Framework for Denton's Future (PDF). The framework outlines eight different focus areas along with comprehensive goals and strategies that aim for a more sustainable community. We are committed to community engagement throughout the implementation of this plan.
The City of Denton will be a sustainable community that will engage our employees, businesses, institutions, organizations, and citizens in more sustainable practices. We will work in a leadership role to improve our environment and utilize our resources in ways that are fiscally and socially responsible. We do all of this to protect and restore our environment, create economic value, and support and strengthen our community.
- Involve the community in developing and implementing the Framework.
- Develop partnerships that encourage collaboration on sustainability issues.
- Promote energy management practices within municipal operations and throughout the community that are efficient and economically sound while reducing emissions.
- Support transportation strategies that reduce air pollution and increase alternative transportation choices.
- Support waste management strategies, including diversion, reuse, recycling, and energy producing disposal options.
- Support green building and sustainable site management within the Denton community through policy implementation, education, and incentives.
- Maintain a diversified power supply portfolio while establishing aggressive energy efficiency and energy conservation programs.
- Commit to the use and purchase of environmentally and socially responsible materials and products.
- Provide high quality drinking water, wastewater treatment, and watershed management in ways that are environmentally and economically sustainable for current and future customers.
- Conduct all of the activities above with a focus on inclusiveness, equity, and social responsibility.