Update: Funds are no longer available for the 2022-2023 program year. Funds for 2023-2024 will become available October 1, 2023.
The Tree Rebate Program is one of six programs under the Denton Tree Initiative, a campaign from Keep Denton Beautiful and the City of Denton designed to increase Denton's tree canopy by offering free trees, forestry education, and tree planting incentives to Denton residents, businesses, neighborhoods, and schools. Rebates for planting trees are available to City utility customers when planting a qualifying native or adaptive tree species within the city limits.
How the Tree Rebate Program Works
- Purchase up to five (5) qualifying trees of 5 or 15-gallon size OR two (2) 30-gallon trees between October 1 and May 1. Taxes and delivery are counted toward the total cost of the tree.
- Rebate Tiers:
Max. Number of Trees
Max. Number of Trees
Min. Purchase Price per Tree/Rebate per Qualifying Tree
- Complete your application online or by mail. Attach a copy of your paid invoice or receipt, indicating the date of purchase, supplier name and address, size of the tree(s), and total price of the tree(s).
- Submit or mail your completed application. Applications must be postmarked or submitted electronically by May 15.
- Plant your tree within 15 days of purchase.
- Plant on a property owned by you. If you do not own the property, you must obtain consent from the owner prior to planting. Trees must be planted within the Denton city limits.
- Plant at least 10 feet away from the foundation of any buildings.
- Do not plant within utility easements. If the tree(s) is expected to exceed a maximum height of 25 feet when fully grown, plant at least 20 feet away from overhead utility lines.
- Do not plant in a location that will obstruct any line of sight for traffic.
- Look for your refund on your City of Denton Utility Service statement within 10 weeks. Rebates are not to exceed $500 per applicant.
Deadlines & Restrictions for Planting Trees
The application period is October 1 through May 15, or until funds are expended. Applications will be considered on a first come, first served basis. Rebates will not be applied to trees planted as part of a City of Denton landscape plan, or tree preservation/mitigation requirement.
- Can I submit a rebate application for trees I purchased before October 1?
No, only trees purchased between October 1 and May 1 qualify for rebates.
- Why aren’t rebates also available for trees that do not meet the program criteria?
The list of approved trees for the program includes species that are native or adapted to this area of Texas, meaning that they are well-suited to our climate and rainfall amounts. By offering rebates for these trees specifically, the City is encouraging planting of trees that are the most likely to survive and preserve Denton's tree canopy.
- Can I submit more than one rebate application?
Yes, you may submit multiple applications; however, you may only apply for a maximum of five trees per property during the current program year (ending May 1).
- Can I receive my rebate in another form, such as a check or cash?
To help ensure that only Denton residents apply for and receive rebates, they are only available in the form of a credit to City of Denton Utility Service users.
- Can businesses and nonprofits apply for the rebate?
No, only residential City of Denton Utility Service users qualify for tree rebates.
- Can I receive rebates for trees on each property?
Rebates are offered by utility customer address, meaning that each individual property is eligible. Please ensure that the information submitted on your application(s) is accurate for each property address, including the number of trees and species at each property, to aid in the follow-up survival rate surveys that may be conducted by the City.
- How is the City paying for the tree rebates?
The Tree Rebate Program is one of six programs introduced by the City of Denton and Keep Denton Beautiful, Inc. as part of the Denton Tree Initiative, a citywide campaign to increase the tree canopy in Denton. All Denton Tree Initiative programs, including the Tree Rebate Program, are made possible through special funding allocated by the Denton City Council from the City Tree Mitigation Fund.
- What if the City runs out of program funds for this year?
Rebates are only available until program funds are extinguished for the year, so be sure and submit your application early!