Residential Electric Services
Denton Municipal Electric (DME) is your community-owned and locally-controlled electric provider. DME owns and operates generation, transmission, and distribution facilities that provide reliable power to the citizens of Denton.
Understanding Your Rates
Your rate consists of three components:
- Base Rate
The Base Rate is made up of the Facility Charge and Usage Charge:
- Facility Charge: fixed monthly rate that recovers costs associated with customer service, metering, meter reading, billing, and accounting
- Usage Charge: fixed rate based on kilowatt hours (kWh) that recovers costs associated with poles, substations, lines, and equipment needed for delivery
The Energy Cost Adjustment or Energy Rate is a variable rate charged per kWh to recover costs associated with generation and fuel.
Estimate Your Monthly Bill
Please use the Residential Bill Calculator (PDF) to help estimate your monthly electric bill.
Current Residential Rates
- Facility Charge: varies depending on the type of service a residential customer receives (most residents have Single-Phase service):
- Prepaid Facility Charge: $16.02
- Single-Phase Facility Charge: $8.67
- Three-Phase Facility Charge: $17.33
- Usage Charge: all residential customers pay the same amount for their two-tier usage rate. Tier 2 changes depending on the month of the year. Winter months are November through April and summer months are May through October:
- Tier 1 (First 600 kilowatt hours (kWh)) Charge: $0.0684
- Tier 2 (Additional kWh (Summer)): $0.0684
- Tier 2 (Additional kWh (Winter)): $0.0455
- Energy Cost Adjustmentis applied to all kWh consumed:
- Energy Cost Adjustment (ECA): $0.0341