- Solid Waste & Recycling
- Yard Waste & Brush
Yard Waste & Brush
The City of Denton offers curbside collection for yard waste and brush. Proper curbside collection keeps this reusable material out of the landfill.
Yard Waste Collection
- As of Oct. 1, 2021, the subscription fee for yard waste and the requirement to call in brush pickups will be discontinued. The monthly fees for yard waste ($1/kraft bags; $0.50/yard cart) will be automatically removed from your utility bill.
- To be collected, all yard waste must be contained in a kraft paper bag or a City-issued yard waste cart – no plastic bags will be collected. Yard waste carts can be purchased for $20.00. Please call Customer Service at (940) 349-8700 if you would like to purchase a yard waste cart.
- Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, and weeds that are placed in kraft bags or yard waste carts. Uncooked vegetative waste such as peels, cores, tops, and loose coffee grounds can still be placed in your yard waste cart or kraft bags.
Options for Yard Waste Collection
To be collected, all yard waste must be contained in a kraft paper bag or a City-issued yard waste cart- no plastic bags will be collected.
- Cart service: Purchase a $20 Cart (one-time purchase). Customers may purchase multiple carts. Call Customer Service at (940) 349-8700 to purchase a yard waste cart.
- Kraft yard waste bags: Place an unlimited amount of kraft paper bags at curbside. You may purchase 30-gallon kraft bags at a local hardware or retail store.
Added Benefits of a Yard Waste Collection
- Brush (less than four cubic yards): Beginning Oct. 1, 2021, there will no longer be a need to contact Customer Service to schedule brush collection. Brush will now be collected on your scheduled collection day in addition to yard waste carts and kraft bags.
- Vegetative Waste: Raw, uncooked fruits and vegetables may be placed in your cart or kraft bags for yard waste collection. This includes, peelings, ends, tops, cores, skins etc.
- Coffee Grounds: Loose coffee grounds may also be placed in your yard waste collection.
If you have questions regarding the changes made to yard waste collection, please call Customer Service at 940-349-8700.
Tree and brush limbs are collected once a week on your curbside collection day. Four cubic yards (about the size of four washing machines) of brush will be collected per week at no additional charge. Brush piles that are more than 4 cubic yards (about the size of 4 washing machines), will have additional fees assessed. If applicable, overage charges will automatically be applied to your utility bill. This material will be used by the Beneficial Reuse Division to make Dyno Dirt.
Follow these steps for convenient brush removal:
- Brush and tree limbs should be cut to 4 ft to 8 ft lengths and stacked into one pile with the cut end toward the street.
- Brush should be at the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day and at least four feet away from carts or other objects.
- Do not place brush in your trash or recycling carts.
- Four cubic yards (about the size of four washing machines) of brush will be collected per week at no additional charge. Additional fee will apply for more than 4 cubic yards.
- Additional fees will apply to excess brush more than 4 cubic yards. Residents and non-residents may also deliver clean yard waste to the City of Denton Landfill at 1527 S. Mayhill Rd.; fees will apply.
- As of Oct. 1, 2021, the two leaf pick-ups per year program will be discontinued. Instead, all residential customers, must have their yard waste in either a City-issued yard waste cart or kraft paper bags. Plastic bags will not be collected.
- There will no longer be a need to contact Customer Service to schedule leaf pick-ups, as they will be collected on the scheduled collection day.