The City Attorney’s Office has more than 200 years of combined legal experience and more than 130 years combined municipal law experience. The Office has held the merit certification in Municipal Law from the Texas City Attorneys Association since 2000, and each of our attorneys has also been recommended for merit certification. Our attorneys have a balanced background of experience from both the public and private sectors.
Mission & Core Values
Through our role as the organization's legal department, the City Attorney's Office represents the City in all legal matters, serving as in-house counsel for all City departments. Our mission is to provide outstanding professional legal services to assist the City in achieving its core values:
What Do We Do?
Here is a sample of the many roles and responsibilities managed by our Office:
- Ensure the City of Denton operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Provide legal advice to the City Council, City Manager, boards and commissions, and all City operations on complex and varied legal matters.
- Draft and review ordinances, resolutions, and contracts considered and adopted by the City Council.
- Represent the City's legal interests in litigation, including drafting and filing legal documents, negotiating agreements and settlements, and helping achieve mutually beneficial solutions for all parties.
- Advise the City Council and City departments on real estate, right-of-way, and other transactions.
- Review public information requests to promote open government and transparency.
- Conduct legal research as directed by the City Council on relevant topics, issues, services, and programs.
The City Attorney and staff cannot provide legal advice to private citizens on personal legal matters.
Meet Our Team
To learn more about our team, visit the City Attorney's Office in the Staff Directory.