Economic Development Transparency
The City of Denton, in collaboration with the Denton Economic Development Partnership, promotes the growth of Denton's economy by encouraging targeted development and redevelopment. Incentives are a tool for attracting and encouraging high-quality jobs and investment in the City.
Economic development incentives are negotiated on a case-by-case basis with new and expanding businesses subject to the qualifications, conditions, and requirements of the City of Denton's Tax Abatement and Incentive Policy (PDF), recommendation by the Economic Development Partnership Board, and the approval of the Denton City Council.
If you have any questions about a specific incentive, please contact the City of Denton Economic Development Department by email or by calling 940-349-7776.
Economic Development Summary
The City of Denton has entered into 35 economic development incentive agreements since initiation of the City's incentive program. These agreements take the form of tax abatement agreements authorized under Chapter 312 of the Texas Tax Code and grants authorized under Chapter 380 of the Local Government Code. The City also considers the use of other tools, such as public improvement districts and tax increment reinvestment zones, in accordance with City policies.
The City is committed to transparency and accountability in all economic development activities. As such, information related to the City's economic development programs and incentive agreements are provided in this section:
- Since 1999, approximately 8,400 local jobs have been retained or created by companies who have entered into an incentive agreement with the City of Denton
- Number of tax abatements granted or appraisal value limitation agreements (including Chapter 380 agreements) entered into in the most recently completed fiscal year (FY) (2019 to 2020): 2
- Number of new tax abatements entered into in FY 2019 to 2020: 0
- Number of new Chapter 380 agreements during FY 2019 to 2020: 2
- Estimated taxes abated or taxes forgone (including Chapter 380 grants) in year one of agreements: $4,665,374
- Estimated taxes abated or taxes forgone (including Chapter 380 grants) in year one of agreements per capita, based on U.S. Census Bureau 2019 population estimates: $33
- Taxes abated in year one: $845,570
- Chapter 380 grants in year one: $3,819,804
- Estimated taxes abated or taxes forgone (including Chapter 380 grants) for life of agreements: $32,199,126
- Taxes abated: $5,619,078
- Chapter 380 grants: $26,580,048
- Total capital investment received for agreements to date: $735,669,474
- Capital investment of tax abatements: $217,373,074
- Capital investment of Chapter 380 grants: $518,296,400