Mayor's Summer Youth Jobs Program
The Mayor's Summer Youth Jobs Program strives to provide meaningful job experiences for local high school students and recent high school graduates of Denton. Through the program, participants will have access to job skills training, career development resources, mentorship opportunities, and fulfilling work experience that will create opportunities for personal and professional advancement.
The Mayor's Summer Youth Jobs Program has been cancelled for 2021 to minimize the potential impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus). Get more City announcements and information about COVID-19.
- Youth Are Valued: Young people can be extremely valuable assets in the work place by providing significant contributions to the labor force and providing a different perspective.
- Youth Should Be Empowered: Providing summer jobs and mentorship to young people provides the necessary impetus to encourage positive personal and career advancement.
- Opportunity for All: All young people should have access to the tools they need to succeed, regardless of their race, religion, socioeconomic status, or background.
The 2020 Mayor's Summer Youth Jobs Program is an eight-week paid work program that provides participants with job experiences in various City departments.
City of Denton Program
In the City of Denton Program, participants are provided with eight weeks of paid job experience in a City department. Last year's participants had jobs at the Linda McNatt Animal Care and Adoption Center, Engineering, Finance, Human Resources, Library, Parks, Fire, and Sustainability.
To learn more about the City of Denton Program, email Rachel Balthrop Mendoza or call at 940-349-8420.
- Must be a Denton resident.
- Must be between the ages of 16 and 21 (some positions may have more specific age requirements). Must be enrolled in high school or graduating from high school in June 2020.
- Must be a legal resident of the United States.
- Must have a driver's license or other government-issued photo identification.
- Must pass background check and/or drug screen (as required by individual employers).
The Mayor's Summer Youth Jobs Program has been cancelled for 2021 to minimize the potential impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).