Lateral Police Transfers

  1. Requirements
  2. Lateral Transfer Pay
  3. How to Apply


At the time of application, each Lateral Entry Officer (LEO) applicant must:

  1. Be actively employed as a full time paid police officer with a municipal, county, or state law enforcement agency or honorably discharged from a full time paid police officer position with such an agency within the previous 24 months, provided that the applicant currently holds an active Texas Peace Officer License, and:
    1. The applicant has a total of 3 years of active service for one or more municipal, county, or state law enforcement agencies that has at least 50 sworn police officers and handles a full array of urban police work (i.e., respond to all types of calls for law enforcement services)
    2. LEO applicants who work or worked for an agency that has fewer than 50 sworn police officers will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis
  2. Be no less than 21 years old and have not reached their 45th birthday at the time they apply to be hired as a LEO
  3. Have obtained a high school diploma or have a GED and obtained 30 hours college credit, or have a GED and 2 years active military duty with an honorable discharge and have graduated from an accredited police academy

Out-of-State Applicants

Out-of-state applicants have to hold a current Texas Peace Officer License. Licenses can be obtained by contacting the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) and filling out the "Out of State Federal Initial Application" to qualify for the 120 hours supplemental class for licensing.