Health Permits

UPCOMING Certified Pool Operator Classes

Class Dates
1. Wed-Thurs, Oct 25-26
2. Wed-Thurs, Dec 13-14

Times: 8:30am-5:00pm each day

Denton Natatorium
2400 Long Road
Denton, TX 76207

Cost: $350 per person


  • Valid email for each student is required upon registration.
  • Regular Calculator and note taking materials required.
  • Government issues ID is required for exam.
  • 2 Days in the classroom so dress comfortable.
  • 1 hour break for lunch each day and lunch is on your own.
  • Drinks and snacks are welcome in the classroom

    Register at or by clicking below.

Oct 25-26:

Dec 13-14:

Health and Food Safety manages the food service industry and public health issues, including issuing health permits and monitoring public and semi-public swimming pools located within the city. A licensed Inspector also performs inspections on all Temporary Food Establishments for public city events.

Restaurant Scores

Health inspectors give all restaurants a score after each yearly health inspection. Visit our interactive map page to see all restaurants within City limits and their current health scores:

Permit Applications

Food Establishment Application (PDF) - in order to open a restaurant, the owner must submit a Health Permit Application. If the project includes construction or a remodel, a Building Permit must also be submitted for approval.

Farmers Market Application (PDF)

Report a Health and Food Safety Concern

You can report a health and food safety complaint by calling (940) 349-8600 or emailing [email protected]

Common Types of Health Concerns include:

  • Apartment/Commercial Swimming Pool 
  • Food Establishments - Foodborne Illness, Insects/ Rodents, Unsanitary Condition, Illegal Food Vendors

Mobile Food Units

Mobile food units range from small food carts selling pre-packaged food, up to food trucks where food is prepared in the vehicle on site. There are four classes of food units (Class I - IV), see the Mobile Food unit packet to find out the designation of your mobile food unit and the required items for inspection for each class. Included in the packet is the mobile food unit application, restroom agreement, commissary agreement, a general checklist and checklists specific to your mobile food unit. 

Food vendors must send an updated itinerary if their route changes, along with an updated restroom agreement and/or commissary agreement if any of these change. Food vendors must also send an updated packet each year they renew their mobile health permit. 

Instructions: Please email a copy to [email protected] or bring a paper copy to the Development Services Center at 401 N. Elm St., Denton, TX 76201. Call us at (940) 349-8600 if you have any questions. 

Snow Cone Stands 

In order to obtain a snow cone stand, the following items must be met: a fixed location capable of obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy. Items for sale must be limited to the sale of snow cones and pre-packaged food or non-potentially hazardous food. Ice and Syrup must be commercially produced. A hand wash sink must be in the building with hot and cold running water; water shall be under pressure. A sink with a minimum of two compartments for washing.

Swimming Pools

Swimming Pool Application (PDF) - Public or semi-public swimming pools are required to renew their registration yearly. Review the Pool Construction Guide (PDF) and Swimming Pool Renewal Application (PDF).

Temporary Events

Temporary Event Application (PDF) - A temporary or special event permit is required to sell or serve food at a fixed location for a period of time, usually in conjunction with an event such as a festival or fair. Temporary Event permits apply to booths, stands, vehicles, or cards. Download the hand wash station guide here. Submit the Temporary Event Application to [email protected] or in person at 401 N Elm St. Denton, TX., 76201. We will call for payment once the permit has been processed. 

Codes and Guides

Food Handler Information

All Employees that work in a food establishment are required to have a current food handler certificate. Online Food handler courses are available in many different languages, including Spanish. Food Handler Certificates are not required to be registered with the City of Denton. This certificate, however, must be available onsite for review by the Health Inspectors.

All Food Managers are required to register with the City of Denton. Registration is $38. If multiple registrations are brought in, please bring payment in the form of a check or money order.

Smoking in Denton

Ordinance Number 2015-121 (PDF), prohibits smoking in certain public establishments, including restaurants and bars. Establishments which permit smoking must comply with Ordinance Number 2015-121.