Earlier this fiscal year, the City Council approved the allocation of $3.7 million dollars from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding for a series of transformative park improvement projects. These initiatives are set to enhance our community's recreational spaces and amenities, creating vibrant and accessible environments for everyone to enjoy. Let's dive into the exciting projects that have been identified so far:
The much-anticipated improvements at Joe Skiles Park are just around the corner, with construction documentation nearing completion. This Fall, we can expect a remarkable transformation of the park. The proposed enhancements include the construction of a loop trail that encircles the park, a new pavilion, irrigation systems to address sandbur concerns, the addition of shade trees, a play structure specifically designed for children aged 2-5, and the replacement of the existing tennis court fencing. Through the engagement process, lighting was a desired amenity. Although the initial phase won't include lighting due to budget constraints and project prioritization, we will lay the groundwork for future illumination opportunities. The project is estimated to conclude by late spring/early summer 2024, ensuring a revitalized Joe Skiles Park for all to enjoy.
ARPA Allocation: $520,000
Since December 2022, our park planning staff have been actively engaging with the southeast Denton community to gather feedback on expanding the Carl Young Sr. Splash Pad. A public survey held from April to June captured the desires and preferences of over 285 participants, providing a clear direction for the enhancements. With a budget of $700,000, the phase 2 improvements will include the addition of four thrilling vertical components, extra ground sprayers for even more aquatic fun, expanded equipment and pump room, comfortable benches for relaxation, and opportunities for shade. As we bid farewell to the current aquatic season, construction is set to commence this fall, unveiling an enhanced water amenity for everyone to enjoy.
ARPA Allocation: $150,000 Remaining funds being paid out parkland dedication and development fees.
In February & March, staff conducted public engagement sessions to receive input regarding some of the proposed improvements. Overall, the community was thrilled to see the addition of trails and upgrades to the softball field to increase safety and connectivity for the existing park. Denia Park's planned enhancements encompass the completion of a loop trail, a trail connection to the Eagle Creek neighborhood, irrigation installation, tree planting, improvements to the softball field, and adherence to ADA accessibility requirements. Due to the complexity of the project's scope, the city sought external consulting services to create construction documents. We anticipate the completion of these documents by fall, with construction set to commence in late fall or early winter.
ARPA Allocation: 1,300,000.00 Remaining funds being paid out parkland dedication fees.
Trail Projects: Expanding Pathways, Enhancing Connectivity
In June, our visionary park planning staff took a decisive step by formally submitting a detailed grant application to secure funding for 3.1 miles of crucial segments of the recently approved master plan for the Pecan Creek Regional Trail. This application, totaling $13,714,880.00, was submitted to TxDOT. The City's responsibility under this program is a 20% match, equating to $2,742,976.00. Upon successful implementation of the project, TxDOT will reimburse the remaining 80%, an astounding $10,971,904, amplifying the positive impact of this trail project. This transformative endeavor promises improved access and enhanced mobility within our city, transforming the way we explore and connect with our surroundings. We eagerly await the announcement of grant awards in October.
ARPA Allocation 1,430,000.00 (Grant Match) Remaining funds being paid out parkland dedication and development fees.