On Aug. 1, 2023, the City Council gave staff direction to prepare an ordinance calling for a November bond election and which projects to include in that election call.
DENTON, TX, Aug. 2, 2023 - The Denton City Council has taken the next step toward a 2023 bond election. On Aug. 1, 2023, the City Council gave staff direction to prepare an ordinance calling for a November bond election and which projects to include in that election call.
This step is only the most recent in a longer process to evaluate the infrastructure and service needs within the community. In April 2023, the City Council established a Special Citizen's Bond Advisory Committee comprising 40 residents, whose role was to assess and discuss proposed bond projects. The committee held meetings from late May through early July and collaborated on a final recommendation to the Council.
On July 25, 2023, Special Citizen's Bond Advisory Committee representatives presented their comprehensive recommendations to the City Council. In its direction to staff, the Council modified the committee recommendation to include additional funding for a new South Branch Library and the inclusion of roadway improvements to Ruddell St. between Mingo and McKinney.
The proposed bond program, which totals $309,590,631, encompasses a diverse range of initiatives.
The listing of projects along with their estimated costs are below:
- Fire Station #5: $12,671,116
- Fire Station #6: $12,671,116
- Oakland Drainage & Upstream Detention Improvements: $32,595,000
- PEC Phases 3 & 4 Drainage Improvements: $26,265,896
- Affordable Housing: $15,000,000
- Active Adult Center: $46,429,380
- South Branch Library: $48,575,961
- Linda McNatt Animal Care & Adoption Center Expansion: $15,849,396
- Ruddell, Mingo Roadway & Quiet Zones: $45,125,615
- Inclusive Playground: $3,450,000
- City Hall West: $17,875,698
- Trail Development: $15,000,000
- Aquatics: $15,000,000
An additional allocation of $3,081,453 will be allocated to public art at both fire station facilities, the animal shelter, the active adult center, the new South Branch Library, and City Hall West.
The City Council is scheduled to take formal action to call a 2023 bond election at its Aug. 15 meeting. Through the 2023 bond election, Denton's residents will have the opportunity to make their voices heard.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Chief of Staff
Phone: (940) 349-8565
Email: [email protected]