The Northeast Area of Denton is largely undeveloped. After concerns, proposals, and requests from developers and the community, City Council and staff realized a need to create an area plan to establish a vision for the area, as well as set clear policy direction and supporting implementation strategies for how Northeast Denton should develop over time. This area plan would be created based on public engagement efforts involving all stakeholders, property owners, businesses, and users of the area in the planning process. Public engagement efforts associated with creating the plan include a steering committee, ambassador program, study area tour, stakeholder interviews, community open houses, focus workshops and a dedicated website to share information and gather input from the community, among many other initiatives to progress the plan forward.
This area of Denton is full of possibilities, and the City wants to hear all input on the future of Northeast Denton. We are focused on collaborating and being inclusive to all stakeholders – the community and developers alike - to make sure Denton is operating at the best it can be.
The Northeast Denton Area Plan will become the vision and framework for the Northeast area once the community, property owners, City staff, and the City Council decide how best to develop the area. The area plan will also take into consideration the unique environmental assets located within this area of Denton. A challenge with planning for the Northeast area is that approximately 47% of the project planning area is within the city limits and the remaining 53% is within the county where the City has no land use regulatory control. The project progress is available on Discuss Denton. The Discuss Denton project page lists out the project timeline (past, present and future), documents related to the project, staff you can contact for more information, and ways to get involved.
Right now, the Northeast Denton Area Plan is still a work in progress. With another public engagement events planned and online survey coming in the few next months, the City is looking for ways to hear from the community on how to develop Northeast Denton in a way that incorporates the needs of the community. Important concerns have been raised by the community. These include the incompatible land use and density proposed, increased traffic as a result of development, and the lack of open space, public amenities, and overall environmental protection.
We are aware that some in the community believe that the plan for this area has been predetermined, but rest assured this is not the case. The community’s desire to see this area develop in the best way possible was the catalyst for this effort and the Northeast Denton Area Plan vision and framework is designed to achieve that goal.
Visit Discuss Denton and subscribe to the Northeast Denton Area Plan project page to stay up to date on the project: https://www.discussdenton.com/northeast-denton-area-plan.