DENTON, TX, Nov. 11, 2023 – City of Denton’s Parks and Recreation Department was recently awarded a $10,971,904 grant from Texas Department of Transportation’s (TxDOT) Transportation Alternatives Set-Aside (TA) program. This grant will cover approximately 80 percent of the proposed construction project costs of select phases of the City’s Pecan Creek Trail. The remaining 20 percent will be covered by the City’s American Rescue Plan Act allocation and Parks Dedication and Development fees.
The TxDOT TA program supports a variety of bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure projects throughout the state, with a total of $345,110,072 in funds being awarded to various communities across Texas.
The accredited Denton Parks and Recreation Department maintains the City's recreational facilities and diverse programming, outdoor athletic fields, parks, trails, open and natural areas, Additionally, they preserve the IOOF and Oakwood Cemeteries.