The holiday season is upon us, and this is the perfect time to start incorporating new sustainable practices into your daily life. These practices will not only help you reduce waste, but they can also help you choose items that can be reused or recycled.
1. Buy Smart! When buying holiday decorations, purchase items that can be reused each year. By reusing, you can build up a great collection of décor and also save money in the long run. Buying smart also includes buying products that consume less electricity. LED lights not only use less electricity but also last longer.
2. Put waste in its place! Disposing waste material properly is important. Check to see if you are only recycling materials that are acceptable in our recycling program. If you have too much to fit in your recycling cart, you can request a second one by calling (940) 349-8700, or take items to one of the City’s convenient recycling drop-off centers. Learn more by visiting www.dentonrecycles.com.
3. Reduce! It’s important to look for everyday ways we can reduce waste. This includes using a reusable water bottle, taking your lunch to work, and saying no to products like styrofoam.
4. Volunteering! This is another great way to get involved and do something meaningful to support your community. There are tons of great opportunities such as participating in a litter clean up or serving meals at a local food pantry.
5. Get Creative! Consider adding a personal touch to your gifts this year by making your own. You can also add a personal touch by purchasing unique gifts from local stores and makers.
Do you have a unique tradition that makes the holidays a bit greener? Share it on www.facebook.com/sustainabledenton.