As the saying goes, "New year, new me"! Every year we make New Year’s Resolutions such as join the gym, pay off debt, save money, and other similar goals. These are all great resolutions. However, this upcoming year is the perfect time to set some eco resolutions as well.
Simple Eco Resolutions for 2022:
- Do a trash audit and see where you can cut back on waste. For example, do water bottles makeup most of the items in your recycling bin? Opt for a reusable water bottle. Local thrift stores and shops are a great place to start looking for one.
- Say no to unnecessary packaging. Life can get hectic and stressful and sometimes a night of take out is what is on the menu. Ask the restaurant to please skip the items you already have at home with you such as cutlery, napkins and condiments.
- Mindful consumption. Have you ever looked around your home and wondered how in the world you accumulated so much stuff? Channel Marie Condo! Make the New Year’s Resolution to ask yourself if the item you are about to purchase is something that you need, will bring you real joy, or something that you want? If it is something that you want, perhaps ask yourself why you want it. Every item we purchase has an environmental impact, especially brand-new items.
- Air dry your clothes. Drying your clothes in the dryer is costing you more money than you think. Energy costs aside, dryers are the leading cause to wearing out your clothes. Save your clothes and your wallet by skipping the dryer and dry your clothes the old-fashioned way. After all, why pay for something that can be free?
- Write to your favorite businesses and brands. This one is totally free and a lot easier than you may think. Simply sending an email to a business you frequent to tell them how much you appreciate their business, but that you would like to see them improve their sustainability models: less waste, better repair options, refill options, etc.
These are just a few New Year’s Eco Resolutions, but you don't have to stop here. There are so many more that can be fun to incorporate. Don't forget to get creative!