Every year we make New Year’s Resolutions such as join the gym, pay off debt, save money, and other similar goals.
The saying goes... “New Year, New Me”! These are all great resolutions. However, this upcoming year is a great year to set some eco resolutions as well.
Simple Eco Resolutions for 2022:
- Do a trash audit and see where you can cut back on waste.
Ex: water bottles makeup most of the items in your recycling bin? Opt . for a reusable water bottle (local thrift stores and shops are a great place to start looking for one ).
- Say no to unnecessary packaging. Life can get hectic and stressful and sometimes a night of take out is what is on the menu. Ask the restaurant to please skip the items you already have at home with you such as cutlery, napkins and condiments
(if you have them).
- Mindful consumption. Have you ever looked around your home and wondered how in the world you
and/or your family have accumulated so much stuff? It is not by accident. We are constantly bombarded with ads that make us feel like we need whatever item is being advertised to us. Make the New Year’s Resolution to ask yourself if the item you are about to purchase is something that you need, will bring you real joy, or something that you want? If it is something that you want, perhaps ask yourself why you want it. Every item we purchase has an environmental impact . Especially brand-new items.
- Air dry your clothes. Drying your clothes in the dryer is costing you more money than you think. Energy costs aside, dryers are the leading cause to wearing out your clothes. Save your clothes and your wallet by skipping the dryer and dry your clothes the old-fashioned way. After all, why pay for something that can be free?
- Write to your favorite businesses, brands, and representatives. This one is totally free and a lot easier than you may think. Simply
shooting an email to a business you frequent and tell them how much you appreciate their business, but you would like to see them improve their sustainability model s . Less waste, better repair options, refill options, the list really can go on and on. Write to your representatives and let them know that you want and need them to support legislation that will offer a viable future for you and your loved ones. [WC1]
These are just a few New Year’s Eco Resolutions, but you don't have to stop here. There are so many more that can be fun to incorporate - get creative. Happy New Year to all!
[WC1]Not sure if this would qualify as "political causes" per policy 506.05, ”Further, the electronic mail system may not be used for religious or political causes." It is encouraging civic action, not reaching out on behalf of a PAC.