Operators of regulated small MS4s are required to design their programs to:
- Reduce the discharge of pollutants to the maximum extent practicable (MEP)
- Protect water quality
- Satisfy the appropriate water quality requirements of the Clean Water Act
Implementation will typically require the development and implementation of Best Management Practices and the achievement of measurable goals to satisfy each of the six minimum control measures.
- Public Education, Outreach and Involvement
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management in New Development and Redevelopment
- Pollution Prevention / Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations
- Industrial Stormwater Sources (if serves population more than 100,000)
Additional information on our illicit discharge detection and elimination, municipal good housekeeping, public education and public involvement programs can be found on our Residential Watershed webpage.