Can I take a driver safety course?

Certain traffic violations qualify for dismissal by taking a Driver Safety Course (DSC) and completing all associated requirements. To determine if you are eligible, view your case options online or contact the court. Requests to take a DSC may be submitted online or in person. Requests must be approved by the Court BEFORE taking the course. 

You are NOT eligible if:

  • You have taken a DSC within 12 months of the date of the citation or are required to take a DSC for another violation;
  • You have or held a commercial driver's license (CDL) a the time of the offense;
  • The offense is for speeding 25 miles per hour or more over the posted speed limit;
  • The offense occurred in a construction zone with workers present;
  • The offense was for unlawfully passing a school bus; or
  • The offense included leaving the scene of an accident.

A valid driver's license and proof of insurance are required to submit a DSC request. If your DSC request is approved by the Court, you will be required to complete a TDLR approved course.  Make sure you complete a Driver's Safety Course and NOT a Driver Education Course.  Upon completion, you will submit the course completion certificate and your driving record to the Court for verification. Your driving record can be requested online through the Department of Public Safety website

Show All Answers

1. What methods of payment are accepted?
2. I got a ticket. Now what do I do?
3. Can I make partial payments?
4. What if I am unable to pay?
5. Can I take a driver safety course?
6. What is deferred disposition?
7. How do I plead no contest?
8. How do I plead not guilty?
9. I received a collection letter for a Red-Light Camera violation. What do I do?