If I am a licensed peace officer, will you require me to attend another police academy?

Maybe. Licensed Texas peace officers may be required to attend a Denton Police Department Basic Police Academy (BPOC), and each officer applicant will be assessed based upon their prior level of training and experience.  Certified officers will attend an orientation program of at least two weeks and then go into the Field Training Program. Licensed police officers from other states who apply for Lateral Police Officer positions will not have to attend an academy if they have already become certified in Texas through the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE), which consists of submitting the Out of State Federal Initial Application, completing the 120-hour Texas Supplemental Peace Officer Course (course #1018), and successfully passing the State of Texas Licensing Exam.

For more information on becoming certified in Texas please visit the TCOLE website.

Show All Answers

1. How many openings do you have?
2. How does civil service work regarding the entry level position?
3. I took the test a couple of months ago and I still have not been contacted. Why not?
4. I passed but did not score very well on the test, should I give up on coming to work for the Denton Police Department this time around?
5. Is there a physical agility test?
6. How long is the hiring process?
7. If I am a licensed peace officer, will you require me to attend another police academy?
8. Where do you send recruits for the police academy and how long does it last?
9. How long is field training?
10. How is the current patrol shift configured?
11. How long do I have to work in patrol before becoming a criminal investigator, a sergeant or assigned to any other section?
12. Is there any financial cost incurred by me upon being hired?
13. How much will a pistol and associated gear cost me?
14. When is the next civil service test?
15. How can I study for the civil service test?