Where should I drain the water from my pool?
  • Into your landscape for irrigation. Pools may be discharged onto your property if the water does not run off into streets or cause stagnant water.
  • Into the sanitary sewer system via your home’s sewer clean-out. The sewer clean-out is usually a threaded cap about three to four inches in diameter.
  • After approval by the Watershed Protection Department, into the storm drain system. Watershed Protection can be reached at (940) 349-7153 or (940) 349-7141 or send an email to [email protected].

To obtain permission, pool water will have to meet the following criteria:

  • Discontinue use of pool chemicals at least three days prior to discharge
  • Dechlorinate water to non-detectable level of chlorine (< 0.1 mg/L)
  • Clean any vegetation and debris from pool
  • Monitor discharge rate to prevent erosion
  • Freshwater pool water only (saltwater pools cannot be discharged to the storm drain)

Show All Answers

1. What is a watershed?
2. Why is watershed protection important?
3. How do I report a spill or discharge impacting a waterway?
4. Where should I drain the water from my pool?
5. Where can I discharge pool filter backwash water?
6. Where can I find out more about Environmentally Sensitive Areas?
7. What is a Stormwater Management Plan?
8. What Is a Phase 2 Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4)?
9. What Are the Phase 2 Small MS4 Program requirements?
10. What is an illicit discharge?
11. What is required of an illicit discharge detection and elimination program?
12. What is Municipal Good Housekeeping?
13. What is required of Municipal Good Housekeeping?
14. What is Integrated Stormwater Management (ISWM)?