The Long Range Planning Section of the Planning Division is responsible for a number of tasks which includes; assisting in implementing the Denton Plan 2030, preparing Small Area Plans and Corridor Plans, processing annexation requests, providing land use, population, and housing data, administering the City's Neighborhood Planning Programs, managing the City's Historic Resources, and participating in updating of the City's development standards.
- Citizens as a valuable resource. Stakeholders should have a voice regarding all development projects and governmental processes. Planning efforts are neighborhood-driven and opportunities exist for all interested persons and groups to express their viewpoints.
- Identify neighborhood priorities. Along with encouraging a neighborhood website, The City will assist the community in identifying neighborhood priorities and set a feasible timeline to realize the identified priorities based on available city staff, community volunteers, and funding opportunities.
- Perform asset building initiatives. Build upon the strengths of each organized and/or targeted neighborhood, and where feasible, use specific assets as a neighborhood brand.
- Establish short-term and long-term goals. Provide assistance to the neighborhood for the purpose of establishing goals, and encourage neighborhoods to balance the importance of a long-term vision with the necessity of identifying realistic short-term implementation actions.
- Achieve neighborhood cohesiveness and consensus. Strive to achieve consensus through charities and interactive activities. Equip residents with the basis to plan for and address common concerns and opportunities.
- Coordinate efforts of government, non-profits, and private partners. Facilitate coordination, based on clearly stated neighborhood goals and priorities, among all partners in neighborhood revitalization: community residents, government agencies, non-profit groups, and the private sector
- Attract synergy and investment to targeted neighborhoods. Improve the allocation of resources by guiding a community-driven investment process.
- Assist neighborhoods in the planning process. Each neighborhood will receive planning assistance in accordance to its planning needs.