[Skip to page content]
City of Denton logo stacked
X icon

Municipal Court

If you were issued a ticket by a Denton, UNT or TWU Police Officer, that ticket was probably filed with the Denton Municipal Court for resolution. You have options for how you want to interact with the Court. You can resolve your ticket online or talk with the Judge about your options.
Ticket Resolution Options
  • ONLINE: Click here to view your case information, submit requests, or resolve your case using our new Online Dispute Resolution System.
  • PHONE: The easiest option if you have questions is to give us a call at (940) 349-8331. A Municipal Court Clerk is always available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding holidays. You can also pay by our automated phone system at any time at (940) 240-3070.
  • EMAIL: Send questions to DentonMunicipalCourt@cityofdenton.com. The Court has a dedicated clerk monitoring the email inbox during normal business hours.
  • VISIT IN PERSON: To talk to someone in person, you can visit the Court at 601 E. Hickory St., Suite D, Denton, TX 76205. The lobby is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding holidays. The Court encourages social distancing. In accordance with GA-36, face coverings are not required; however, we recommend that all visitors follow the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention when entering our facilities. Free public parking is located at the intersection of Hickory and Exposition Streets. Click here for a parking map.
Virtual Court

All of the Court’s dockets are now held virtually through Zoom. Click here for more information.

If you do not have technology to appear by Zoom call, please call or come in prior to your court date and time to make arrangements to appear by telephone or in person.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What methods of payment are accepted for citations and fines?
    We accept cash, personal checks, cashier's checks, money orders and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard and Discover). No loose coins accepted. Coins must be rolled. If you wish to plea guilty or no contest and pay any fines and costs incurred, you may appear in person at the clerk’s office, send payment by mail, Municipal Court drop box, or pay online.
  • Can I make partial payments?
    Depending on the case, defendants may qualify for a payment plan agreement. Payment plans can be requested online or in person. If approved, there will be a $15 time payment fee added to the fine. This additional fee is required by State Law and cannot be waived by the Court.
  • Can I take a driver safety course?
    If you have a commercial driver's license, you cannot take a driver safety course for dismissal of your citation. If you have been charged with a moving traffic violation and were not charged with speeding 25 or more miles over the posted speed limit, you may be able to request to take a Driver Safety Course for dismissal of your citation.
  • What is deferred disposition (probation)?

    An option that will keep your citation form being reported as a conviction on your driving record and will be dismissed if all terms required are successfully met. If any requirement is not met and you cannot provide a satisfactory reason why at a hearing before the judge, the citation will result in a conviction and be reported to the Department of Public Safety. Not all violations are approved fro Deferred Disposition.

    • Commercial Driver License holders do not qualify for Deferred Disposition.
    • A Defendant is allowed to be on Deferred Disposition once every 6 months in this Court
    • The request for Deferred Disposition must be made by your response date or postmarked on or before that date
    • The amount of the administrative fees must be paid at the time of the request. The Deferred Disposition administrative fees are usually $50 more that the standard fine for the offense you have been charged. Contact the Municipal Court Clerk’s office for the correct amount.
  • How do I plead no contest?
    If you desire to enter a plea of no contest or guilty and resolve your citation, you can visit our online system to make payment or review your options. You may also visit the court, email DentonMunicipalCourt@cityofdenton.com, or call (940) 349-8331 to speak to a clerk.
  • How do I plead not guilty?
    If you wish to plead not guilty, please appear in court on the appearance date listed on your citation.
  • What if I am unable to pay?
    You are encouraged to contact the Court as soon as possible so that we may provide you options for resolving your case. You will not be arrested if you visit the Court to discuss or resolve your case.
    Unresolved citations will eventually result in a warrant for arrest. If still unresolved 60 days after warrant issuance, cases are referred to a collection agency. The collection agency charges a 30% fee on top of existing fines and fees.
    If a defendant is unable to pay the fine when due, the defendant must appear at the clerk’s office and request their case be set on a show cause docket. If the defendant qualifies, the court may allow the defendant to pay the fine in installments or discharge the fine by performing community service. If community service creates an undue hardship, the judge may enter a finding of indigence and waive fines and fees.
    If a defendant appeals the Court’s decision and is indigent or otherwise too poor to pay either the appeal bond or the transcript, they may file an Affidavit of Indigency with the court and a Motion to Waive Costs within the ten (10) day period to file an appeal bond. A hearing on the motion to waive costs shall then be scheduled by the court.

Contact Us

location icon
Visit Us
601 E. Hickory, Suite D Denton, TX 76205