The City of Denton helps low-and-moderate-income families with the down payment assistance and closing costs to buy their first home. Assistance is in the form of a forgivable loan at zero percent interest for five years.
- House must be in the city limits of Denton, includes condos and town homes.
- Sales price of the house cannot exceed program guidelines.
- Household income limits apply. (Click the link below for more details.)
Learn more about the Home Buyer Assistance Program and eligibility requirements: English / Spanish
How to Get Started
- Attend a homebuyer education workshop (listed below).
- Contact a lender from the List of Participating Lenders to determine elligibility and recieve pre-approval for a mortgage.
- Contact a realtor from the List of Participating Realtors. The realtor can assist you in finding a home.
- If the lender determines that you may qualify for home buyer assistance, they will contact City staff to submit the application on your behalf.
Homebuyer Education Workshops
All persons receiving assistance from the program must attend a Homebuyer Education Class through a HUD-approved housing counseling agency. See the list below or go to https://www.hudexchange.info/programs/housing-counseling/
to find other counseling agencies.
Lenders & Realtors
The City of Denton partners with participating lenders and realtors to assist first-time home buyers. If you are interested in becoming a participating lender or realtor, check this page to see when the next two-hour certification course will be held.
Upcoming Lender & Realtor Certification Courses:
- Currently there are no scheduled courses. Courses will be listed here when available.
To register for the certification course, email Alma.Espino@cityofdenton.com. Please include the attendees' name(s), company, phone number, and e-mail or call (940) 349-7756 to register.