Volunteer at the Animal Shelter
Volunteers play an important role in providing our shelter pets a positive experience while housed at Denton Animal Services. We have different opportunities to work both directly and indirectly with animals. Our volunteers can serve as greeters, lobby representatives, photographers, cat or dog room attendants, dog exercisers and socializers, offsite events and laundry attendants.
All volunteers must attend an orientation and training session. Children ages 13 to 17 are welcome to volunteer if a parent or guardian is present for orientation and during all volunteer times. Group and one-time volunteer opportunities are also available.
If you are interested in volunteering at the animal shelter, email AnimalServices@cityofdenton.com.
NOTE: Court-Ordered Community Service
To ask about fulfilling hours for court-mandated community service, contact the Animal Shelter at (940) 349-7594.
Foster a Pet from the Animal Shelter
Fosters are always needed to open their hearts and homes on a temporary basis for dogs and cats of all ages as they grow, heal, socialize, and adjust behaviorally on their jourey to finding their forever home. Fostering pets that have temporary medical needs or are too young to be adopted gives them the chance to grow stronger and healthier before they make their adoption floor debut. The care and socialization given during this time greatly increases cats and dog’s chances for adoption.
Foster orientation and trainings are conducted year round at the animal shelter. Upcoming session dates are listed below. If you are interested in attending, scheduling a future session, or fostering a pet, contact Animalservices@cityofdenton.com.
Make a donation to the Animal ShelteR
Your Donations Help Save Lives
Donating to the City of Denton Animal Shelter is one of the simplest things you can do to help prevent pet homelessness and save a life. Please consider donating to the following funds:
- ShelterBeds – We’ve teamed up with Kuranda ShelterBeds for a donation campaign for the dogs at our shelter. Kuranda is a small, family owned manufacturing company located in Maryland. Everything they sell is made at their facility in Baltimore. They machine all the frames and sew all the fabrics. The materials used in the bed are sourced from US fabric mills, extruders, and casting houses. ShelterBeds are made specially for animal welfare. They have a chew proof design, strong frame and heavy-duty fabric that resists digging and is easily cleaned.
If you would like to donate a bed for a shelter dog, visit https://donate.shelterbeds.org/21502. When you donate a bed, it will ship directly to our group. You will receive tracking information to confirm the bed made it to us.
- Medical Fund – Donations to this fund pay for emergency veterinary care for stray animals that are injured or ill. This fund helps ensure all animals receive proper medical care while at the shelter.
How to Donate
- Shelter Fund – The City of Denton Animal Shelter cares for more than 5,000 animals annually and that number increases each year. All donations to this fund will be used for the operation of the Linda McNatt Animal Care & Adoption Center.
Donating Pet Supplies
- Mail check to City of Denton Animal Shelter, 3717 N Elm St, Denton, TX 76207.
- Donate in person – Cash, check and credit card donations are accepted in person at the City of Denton Animal Shelter.
- Make an automatic donation on your City of Denton utility bill.
The City of Denton Animal Shelter also relies on donated items to ensure that animals at the shelter have the most comfortable experience possible.
Shelter Wish List
- H-E Liquid Laundry Detergents
- Dawn Dish Soap
- Dog Food – Pedigree
- Adult Small Breed
- Dog Treats - Puperroni
- Cat Food – Purina
- Kitten Food – Royal Canin Mother and Baby Cat
- Dog Toys
- Cat Toys
- Wash Cloths
Your donations are critical to our success and we thank you for your support!