SHOP Denton aims to increase support for local businesses. SHOP Denton encourages those who live and work in Denton to make a conscious effort to shop here, empowering our community to help itself.
Ways To support small businesses
You Can Shop Local Businesses Online - Many local businesses have online stores in addition to their brick-and-mortar locations. Whenever possible, consider giving them your business. Stores in many locations are now offering delivery in addition to pick-up and some stores have curbside pickup. Keep in mind that when you buy from someone in your community, you're helping support local jobs and keeping people employed.
You Can Order Takeout or Delivery - Your favorite restaurants may offer takeout or delivery. Not only does that keep the business going, it also provides income for delivery drivers. Also, many food delivery services have sent information to customers and drivers to help ensure safe--and in some cases, contactless--deliveries.
Buy Gift Cards - Want to inject some cash into a small business right now? Buy a gift card. Even if you are not buying anything else, you can give your local shops or favorite restaurant a vote of confidence by purchasing a gift card to use later.
Say Thank You - When you do go to the store, be sure to say thanks to the employees who are hard at work. It can be easy to forget that many of them are working overtime to keep their store clean and full of the food and supplies customers need. A simple thank you can go a long way in spreading a little gratitude and goodwill.
Buy local produce - Grocery stores are doing a great job keeping up with high demand but consider getting your produce at a local market to help support local workers. Farmers markets are already great at providing the freshest produce to the community, but during these trying times, they will need our support more than ever.
Why Shopping Local Matters
Do you ever wonder why where you shop matters? When we make a conscious decision to shop in Denton we are saying YES to a strong, vibrant, local economy – which translates into a unique and interesting City.
Here is what happens when you choose to Shop Here On Purpose or S.H.O.P. Denton:
- Your Environmental Impact Is Reduced - Locally owned businesses make more local purchase requiring less transportation, and set up shop in town or city centers which generally means less sprawl, congestion, habitat loss, and pollution.
- Community Groups Receive More Support - Local businesses donate more per sales dollar to local non-profits, events, and teams compared to national chains.
- Investment In The Community Grows - Local businesses are owned by your friends and neighbors who live in Denton, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community’s future – just like you.
- You Have A Better Selection Of Goods - Small businesses, that select products based not on a national sales plan, but on their own interests and the needs of their local customers, guarantees a much broader range of product choices and price.
- It Keeps Denton Unique - One-of-a-kind businesses are an integral part of the distinct character of our place – it’s what distinguishes Denton from cities with mostly chain stores that looks the same.
- You Get Better Service - Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products they are selling and who take more time to get to know customers.
- More Local Businesses And Jobs Are Created - Small local businesses are the largest employer nationally, and in Denton, provide the most jobs to residents. Let’s encourage more start-ups!
- Public Services Are Better - Local businesses mean a stronger tax base and better public services like schools, transportation, and emergency response for you and your family.
- You Help Encourage Local Prosperity - Entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities that promote their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character. This also means a better use of community space.
Be a local – think local first and buy local when you can!