SHOP Denton aims to increase support for local businesses. SHOP Denton encourages those who live and work in Denton to make a conscious effort to shop here, empowering our community to help itself.
Why Shopping Local Matters
Do you ever wonder why where you shop matters? When we make a conscious decision to shop in Denton we are saying YES to a strong, vibrant, local economy – which translates into a unique and interesting City.
Here is what happens when you choose to Shop Here On Purpose or S.H.O.P. Denton:
- Your Environmental Impact Is Reduced - Locally owned businesses make more local purchase requiring less transportation, and set up shop in town or city centers which generally means less sprawl, congestion, habitat loss, and pollution.
- Community Groups Receive More Support - Local businesses donate more per sales dollar to local non-profits, events, and teams compared to national chains.
- Investment In The Community Grows - Local businesses are owned by your friends and neighbors who live in Denton, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community’s future – just like you.
- You Have A Better Selection Of Goods - Small businesses, that select products based not on a national sales plan, but on their own interests and the needs of their local customers, guarantees a much broader range of product choices and price.
- It Keeps Denton Unique - One-of-a-kind businesses are an integral part of the distinct character of our place – it’s what distinguishes Denton from cities with mostly chain stores that looks the same.
- You Get Better Service - Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products they are selling and who take more time to get to know customers.
- More Local Businesses And Jobs Are Created - Small local businesses are the largest employer nationally, and in Denton, provide the most jobs to residents. Let’s encourage more start-ups!
- Public Services Are Better - Local businesses mean a stronger tax base and better public services like schools, transportation, and emergency response for you and your family.
- You Help Encourage Local Prosperity - Entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities that promote their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character. This also means a better use of community space.
Be a local – think local first and buy local when you can!