[Skip to page content]
City of Denton logo stacked
X icon
Home > Business > Permits & Licenses > Health Permits

Health Permits

The City of Denton Consumer Health Division manages the food service industry and public health issues including issuing health permits, and monitoring public and semi-public swimming pools located within the city. A licensed Inspector also performs inspections on all Temporary Food Establishments for public city events.


Food Handler Information 

All Employees that work in a food establishment are required to have a current food handler certificate. Online Food handler courses are available in many different languages, including Spanish. Food Handler Certificates are not required to be registered with the City of Denton. This certificate, however, must be available onsite for review by the Health Inspectors. 

All Food Managers are required to register with the City of Denton. Registration is $10. If multiple registrations are brought in, please bring payment in the form of a check or money order.

Smoking in Denton
Ordinance No. 2015-121, prohibits smoking in certain public establishments, including restaurants and bars. Bars that are currently considered “smoking bars” may continue to operate as such until Dec. 31, 2017, at which point all bars must comply with Ordinance No. 2015-121.

Contact Us

location icon
Visit Us
Development Services Center 215 W. Hickory St, Denton, TX 76201
phone icon
Call Us
(940) 349-8360