[Skip to page content]
City of Denton logo stacked
X icon

Beginning Feb. 1, 2020, all short-term rental operators will be required to apply for a Short-Term Rental (STR) Registration with the City of Denton.

  • What is a Short-Term Rental (STR)?
    Any residential property that is rented out on a short-term basis – for a period of fewer than 30 days – is considered to be a short-term rental. This includes homes that are listed for rent on Airbnb, VRBO Vacation Rentals, HomeAway, and similar websites. A short-term rental is defined as the rental of an entire dwelling unit.
  • How to Register a Short-Term Rental

    See the Short-Term Rental Information Packet and Requirements and Regulations (linked under "Helpful Resources" on this page) for details about the application process, the required supporting materials, and regulation information.

    Applications for short-term rental registration must be submitted to Development Services, located at 401 N. Elm St. in Denton, Texas. Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted by Development Services staff. The Application is located under "Helpful Resources" on this page.
    For more information, contact Development Services at (940) 349-8360.

  • Regulations
    The 2019 Denton Development Code, effective Oct. 1, 2019, includes regulations for short-term rentals. The new regulations require property owners offering short-term rentals to register with the City of Denton.
    Registration costs $100, will be valid for a period of one year, and will require the host to meet certain minimum standards and restrictions as outlined in the code.
    Once the yearly STR permit is issued, a notice will be sent to all property owners within 100 feet of the rental property, including contact information for a 24-hour complaint hotline.
    Short-Term rentals are required to pay a hotel occupancy tax every month. You can find additional information and instructions on paying hotel occupancy tax in the Short-Term Rental Hotel Tax Instruction Guide (linked under Helpful Resources on  this page).
    The regulations do not prohibit short-term rentals, but they do allow the City of Denton to monitor short-term rental properties and set certain standards in order to protect the integrity of Denton neighborhoods and the safety of the community.
  • Reporting a Short-Term Rental Complaint
    Complaints regarding a short-term rental should be directed to the 24-hour emergency contact for the short-term rental. If that information is not available, citizens can contact the departments listed below regarding complaints.

    Noise and public parking complaints:
    City of Denton Police Department
    (940) 349-8181 (24/7)

    Property maintenance issues (trash, high grass/weeds, outside storage of objects):
    Community Improvement Services
    (940) 349-8743 (M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)

    Other concerns related to short-term rentals:
    Development Services
    (940) 349-8360 (M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)