The Denton Fire Department offers a civil service exam annually for those interested in testing for a fire recruit position. The next available testing date is scheduled for Saturday, January 11, 2020; registration will open in October.
Basic requirements to be eligible for registration:
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED with a valid driver’s license.
- Must be a United States citizen.
To be eligible for hire for the recruit position, you must have:
- Texas State Certification as a fire fighter (if out of state, IFSAC seals are required for state acceptance of fire training) and Paramedic Certification (EMT-P).
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must not have reached your 36th birthday on the date the exam is administered
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must have no felony convictions or numerous misdemeanor convictions
- Cannot have numerous misdemeanors that would indicate a habitual law violator
- Must have a valid Class B Texas driver's license within one year of employment
- Must pass a rigorous physical ability test prior to employment
- Must pass a medical examination indicating fitness for duty
- Vision in both eyes must be correctable to 20/20 and have normal color vision
- Must pass a psychological exam
- Must pass a polygraph exam
- Must pass a drug screen
- Civil Service written exam
- Personal history statement audit
- Background investigation
- Review of investigation results
- Polygraph Exam
- Physical ability test
- Oral review board interview
- Fire Chief's interview
- Conditional letter of employment
- Psychological testing
- Physical examination, drug screening