The Denton Fire/Rescue Department offers a civil service exam annually for those interested in testing for a fire recruit position. The next available testing date is scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 11, 2020; registration will open in October 2019.
Basic requirements to be eligible for registration:
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED with a valid driver’s license.
- Must be a United States citizen.
To be eligible for hire for the recruit position, you must have:
- Texas State Certification as a fire-fighter (if out of state, IFSAC seals are required for state acceptance of fire training) and Paramedic Certification (EMT-P).
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must not have reached your 36th birthday on the date the exam is administered.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English.
- Must have no felony convictions or numerous misdemeanor convictions.
- Cannot have numerous misdemeanors that would indicate a habitual law violator.
- Must have a valid Class B Texas driver's license within one year of employment.
- Must pass a rigorous physical ability test prior to employment.
- Must pass a medical examination indicating fitness for duty.
- Vision in both eyes must be correctable to 20/20 and have normal color vision.
- Must pass a psychological exam.
- Must pass a polygraph exam.
- Must pass a drug screen.
- Civil Service written exam
- Personal history statement audit
- Background investigation
- Review of investigation results
- Polygraph Exam
- Physical ability test
- Oral review board interview
- Fire Chief's interview
- Conditional letter of employment
- Psychological testing
- Physical examination, drug screening