The Denton Fire/Rescue Department offers a civil service exam annually for those interested in testing for a fire recruit position. The next available testing date is scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 11, 2020. Online registration is now closed. Fill out the Fire Recruit Interest Form to be notified of the next registration opportunity.
Read this Notice of Civil Service Examination (POA) for important applicant information before registering for the exam.
Basic requirements to be eligible for registration:
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED with a valid driver’s license.
- Must be a United States citizen.
To be eligible for hire for the recruit position, you must have:
- Texas State Certification as a firefighter (if out of state, IFSAC seals are required for state acceptance of fire training) and Paramedic Certification (EMT-P).
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must not have reached your 36th birthday on the date the exam is administered.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English.
- Must have no felony convictions or numerous misdemeanor convictions.
- Cannot have numerous misdemeanors that would indicate a habitual law violator.
- Must have a valid Class B Texas driver's license, or approved state equivalent, within one year of employment.
- Must pass a rigorous physical ability test prior to employment.
- Must pass a medical examination indicating fitness for duty.
- Vision in both eyes must be correctable to 20/20 and have normal color vision.
- Must pass a psychological exam.
- Must pass a polygraph exam.
- Must pass a drug screen.
- Civil Service written exam
- Personal history statement audit
- Background investigation
- Review of investigation results
- Polygraph Exam
- Physical ability test
- Oral review board interview
- Fire Chief's interview
- Conditional letter of employment
- Psychological testing
- Physical examination, drug screening