On Tuesday, June 9, 2020, the Denton City Council approved a resolution supporting Mayor Watts’ formation of an ad hoc committee to review police use-of-force policies. The committee will gather and review information, develop a report of findings, make and recommendations on police use of force policies and practices to the Mayor and City Council no later than September 15, 2020.
With the creation of the Committee, Mayor Watts is joining former President Barack Obama’s “Commit to Action” initiative for police reform following the tragic death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. The national initiative, led by former President Obama and the My Brother’s Keeper Alliance, calls on mayors across the nation to:
- REVIEW their police use of force policies.
- ENGAGE their communities by including a diverse range of input, experiences, and stories in your review.
- REPORT the findings of their review to the community and seek feedback.
- REFORM their community’s police use of force policies.
To accomplish these goals, the Committee will review, research, gather community input, and establish clear findings, conclusions, and recommendations regarding use-of-force policies and training for the Denton Police Department.
Use-of-Force Committee Members
- Willie Hudspeth, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- Lilyan Prado-Carrillo, League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)
- Dionte Long, National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE) - University of North Texas College Chapter
- Sheryl English, Denton Police Training Advisory Committee
- Cameron Combs, University of North Texas (UNT)
- Dawna-Diamond Tyson, Texas Woman's University (TWU)
- TBD, North Central Texas College (NCTC)
- Angela Ricks, Denton Independent School District (DISD)
- Dr. Carmen Cruz, Representative of the LGBTQ Community
- Kamyon Conner, Representative of the LGBTQ Community
- Rev. Cedric Chambers, Representative of the Faith Community
- Rev. Beau Hughes, Representative of the Faith Community
- Jaime Walker Blanton, Representative of Persons with Disabilities
- Pam Guiterrez, Denton County MHMR
- Yancy Green, Denton Police Officers Association
- Travis Nicholas, Denton Municipal Police Association
- John Baines, Denton Resident
- Rhonda Love, Denton Resident
- Gary Henderson, Denton Resident
- Katina Stone Butler, Denton Resident
- Jamell Butler, Denton Resident
Ex Officio Members
- Police Chief Frank Dixon
- Denton Police Accreditation and Compliance Unit Representative Dr. Richard Williams
- City Manager Todd Hileman
- Deputy City Attorney Mike Cronig
- City Council Member Jesse Davis