Fire Station 1, also known as Central Fire Station, opened at its current location in 2003. It is the fifth central fire station since the founding of the Denton Fire/Rescue Department in 1874. The building was once home to Denton’s first power plant and has been completely renovated to house many of DFD’s administration and emergency operations center, along with being a working fire station.
Central Fire Station is Denton’s largest fire station and is home to a medic unit, an engine, and a truck company. The on-duty battalion chief also runs out of the Central Fire Station bringing the minimum daily staffing to ten personnel.
Central Fire Station also houses the heavy rescue apparatus, which is staffed by the truck company, to carry specialized equipment for confined space, trench, structural collapse, and high angle rescue operations. All personnel assigned to Station 1 are required to be trained in these rescue disciplines.
The Station’s response district encompasses downtown Denton, including the Square, Southeast Denton, the Oak & Hickory Street Historical district, and TWU.
Central Fire Station is also the location of the Denton Firefighters Museum. The Museum, which is in the foyer on Hickory Street, houses firefighting artifacts from Denton’s past with instructional displays showing the equipment and operational advancements of firefighting.