The project, which includes adding turn lane storage capacity, increasing turn lane maneuverability, improving sidewalks, and upgrading traffic signals in all directions, is needed to alleviate congestion and improve safety. The project is scheduled for completion in early spring 2019.
“This is one of the busiest intersections in Denton during peak hours,” said Director of Capital Projects/City Engineer Todd Estes. “These improvements will increase mobility in the area and help drivers navigate the intersection with increased safety.”
This project has been scheduled for immediate construction in anticipation of TxDOT beginning the U.S. 377 expansion in the near future. Because this intersection will likely see more traffic once that project begins, the City is proactively working to complete this project to address future congestion.
During the project, lane closures will impact travel lanes. However, some of the work will be completed at night to lessen the impact.
Specific improvements include:
- Eastbound Dallas Drive: One additional left turn lane will be added; left turn bays will be extended to provide 300 feet of storage; the right curb return will be modified to decrease the angle of entry; and the right turn bay will be extended to provide 300 feet of storage.
- Westbound Dallas Drive: The left turn bay will be extended to provide 300 feet of storage.
- Northbound Teasley Lane: The left turn bays will be extended to provide 300 feet of storage and the width will be increased; a left turn will be provided at Duncan Street.
- Sidewalks along Teasley Lane: Sidewalks will be improved and directional pedestrian ramps will be provided.
- Traffic Signals: Traffic signals for all four directions will be upgraded and additional signage will be added.
Residents are encouraged to visit www.improvingdenton.com for more information and to sign up for email updates, or contact the Streets Department at (940) 349-7146 with any questions.