Need a dog license or a cat license? Start here. All dogs, cats, or ferrets over four months of age are required to be registered with Animal Services. The owner is required to provide current rabies vaccination certificate, issued by a licensed veterinarian. The pet registration form can be found on this page.
- Unaltered animals, $25
- Sterile animals, $4
- Sterile animals with microchips, FREE
All animals registered with the City will be issued a tag that should be worn by the animal at all times. Often these dog license and cat license tags or microchips are how owners are reunited with their animals.
How to Recover Your Pet
If your pet is picked up by Animal Services, here's what you need to do to get your pet back.
- Show a certificate of current rabies vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian; or show a receipt of pre-payment for a rabies vaccination issued by a veterinary hospital or clinic.
- Show a valid picture I.D.
- Fill out and sign an affidavit of ownership.
- Pay applicable fees, plus $8 every day the animal is housed:
- 1st Impoundment, $20
- 2nd Impoundment, $30
- 3rd Impoundment, $45
- 4th Impoundment, $70
- Register any unregistered animal:
- Spayed or neutered, $4
- Unaltered, $25
- Sign all applicable citations. The charges for citations are not included in the above fees; you will have to take care of citations at the municipal court clerks office.
Please Note: Severely sick or injured animals will be euthanized to prevent unnecessary suffering. All others will be held for 96 hours from the time of their impoundment and either adopted to new owners, transferred to a rescue group or euthanized.
Owners intending to claim their animals must do so within 96 hours of the animal's impoundment. Any animal impounded more than one time in a 12-month period is required to be spayed or neutered within 14 days of its release. A pre-paid receipt for this surgery must be presented at the time the owner redeems the animal. In the event the animal is already sterilized, proof of such surgery must be presented to Animal Services staff prior to release of the animal.