[Skip to page content]
City of Denton logo stacked
X icon
Home > Residents > Parks & Recreation > Book, Rent, Reserve > Special Events

Special Events

We are committed to making the special event permit application process as efficient and smooth as possible. The planning guide serves as is a resource for planning your event. However, you won’t need to print the entire guide for every event you host. 

“The Special Event Permit Application and Process helps us help you to ensure that public safety is a priority. Feel free to call or email me if you’re not sure if your event requires this application process and/or other permits.” Jennifer Eusse, (940) 349-8732

Click HERE to review the new Special Events Ordinance

documents, deadlines, and forms
All-in-One Master Application

Standalone Permits, Fees, and Deadlines

  • Permit Fees and Deadlines

    Deadlines listed are prior to the event start date

    Special Event Permit Application, $30 due no less than 60 days 

    Applications that include Parks, Recreation, and Beautification Board and/or City Council Request(s) are due no less than 90 days; no additional fees

    Secuity Deposit, $100
    This deposit is applied to secure an event date on park property and is refunded pending no damages to City property. Please secure dates as early as possible to prevent the loss of opportunity.

    Vendor Permit Fee, due no less than three days

    The Vendor Permit is a single-day permit to sell or do business on park property during a festival, event, or rental. The Vendor Permit fee and form are to be collected by the event organizer if the event has more than five vendors/booths. The event organizer will then submit the forms and a single payment to the City. The permit is not a standalone permit forvendors to do business in the parks outside of a festival, event, or rental. ​$25 for-profit; $15 non-profit.

    Temporary Food Permit, $35 due no less than three days

    The Temporary Food Permit is required for each vendor serving and/or selling food, other than prepackaged.

    Fire Operational Permits, due no less than 30 days
    • Tents, Canopies, Temporary Structures Permit, $35
    • Places of Assembly Permit, $200​

    Downtown Parking Lot Rentals, due no less than 60 days
    • McKinney Street Parking Lot Rental Request, $50
    • William Square Parking Lot Request, fees vary per request 
  • Supplemental Documents and Deadlines
    All supplemental documents listed are elements of the Special Event Permit Master Application and are in addition to the required Site Map and Public Safety Plan.

    Parade Forms, due no less than 60 days
    • Parade route
    • Traffic Control Plan
    • Street Closure Request
    • Street Closure Notification Signature Form(s)
    Neighborhood Block Party Forms, due no less than 30 days
    • Street Closure Request
    • Traffic Control Plan
    • Street Closure Notification Signature Form(s)
    Street Closure Request, due no less than 30 days
    • Street Closure Request
    • Traffic Control Plan
    • Street Closure Notification Signature Form(s)
    Parking Lot Party Form, due no less than 30 days
    • Private Lot Written Right of Possession
    Event Plan Requirements
    ALL events are required to submit the following plans, no less than 30 days
    • Site Map, can not be hand drawn
    • Public Safety Plan, secuity fees may apply
    • Solid Waste Trash and Recycling Plan, container and dumpster fee(s) may apply
    • Traffic Control Plan
    Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission Permit, due no less than 30 days
    First Amendment Activity, due no less than seven days

Exceptions that Require City Council Approval

Noise Ordinance and Requests for Exceptions

  • Summary
    In summary, Denton's noise ordinance prohibits unreasonably loud, disturbing, or unnecessary noise and set parameters relating to amplified sound. Click here to read the ordinance in full.

    In General...
    • Within compliance, Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m.-10 p.m. at 70 dba or less 
    • In general, no amplified sound is allowed to be greater than 65 dba; 50 feet from the source
    • In general, no amplified sound is allowed to be greater than 65 dba on Sunday
    Outdoor Music Festival...
    No amplified sound is allowed to be greather than 70 dba. An Outdoor Music Festival is defined as any form of live musical entertainment if:
    • More than 200 people are in attendance at any one performance; 
    • The event requires paid admission; or
    • Any of the performers or performance are not within a permanent, enclosed structure; 
    • Any of the performance involves the use of amplified sound
  • Exceptions that Require City Council Approval
    An exception to the noise ordinance is needed based on one or more of the following:

    Events Monday-Saturday
    →  Hours of Operation; Monday-Saturday, 10 p.m.-7 a.m.; sound 70 dba or less
    →  Amplifed Sound Level; anytime amplified sound is over 70 dba
    →  Both; Hours of Operation, plus amplified sound over 70 dba 

    Events on Sunday  
    →  Hours of Operation; anytime on Sunday 
    →  Amplifed Sound Level; anytime amplified sound is over 65 dba
    →  Both; Hours of Operation, plus amplified sound over 65 dba
  • Letter of Request for an Exception
    Event organizers can request an exception to the ordinance by submitting a Letter of Request addressed to City Council. The letter must accompany the Special Event Permit Application 90 days in advance, so staff can present it to City Council for consideration.

    Please include the following in the Letter of Request:
    • Event details, i.e. organization name, date, time, and location
    • Purpose of the event
    • Purpose of the exception, i.e. based on hours of operation, increased dba, or both

Alocoholic Beverages and Requests to Serve and/or Sell
  • To Consume, Serve, or Sell on City-Owned Property

    Possession and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages at Special Events
    (Click to read Chapter 22, Article II Park Rules...Sec. 22-32)

    In summary, the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages is only permitted during an event, activity, and/or rental at the following locations and requires approval by the City in advance:

    • Quakertown Park
    • Denton Civic Center
    • North Lakes Park, excluding North Lakes Rec Center and North Lakes Annex
    The sale of alcoholic beverages on City owned-property requires approval by the Parks, Recreation, and Beautification Board and City Council.

    Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC)
    Event organizers must comply with requirements set forth by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC). Please contact Beth Gray at (940) 349-2877 with questions regarding alcohol at special events:

    Insurance Requirements, in addition to Commercial General Liability Insurance 
    Special event organizers who request to sell or serve alcoholic beverages or otherwise make it available to the public, on City-owned property, must provide Liquor Liability (Dramshop) Insurance or Host Liquor Liability coverage by the alcoholic beverage license/permit holder, in an amount of not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence.
  • To Consume, Serve, or Sell on Private Property
    The following applies to businesses that already meet license, permit, and business regulation requirements and have obtained street and parking lot closure approvals.

    Per the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC), a business that is licensed and permitted to serve and sell alcohol may extend their event into the parking lot and/or street on a temporary basis. If hard liquor is served, the business will be required to control the premises and the alcohol in and out.

    The TABC will only allow one permit to do this in an area. There can not be multiple permits extending into the same area.
  • How to Request Approval

    To Serve, Sell, or Distribute Alcoholic Beverages on City-Owned Property
    Requests to serve, sell, or distribute alcoholic beverages at special events on City-owned property require both City Council and Parks, Recreation, and Beautification Board approval.

    In Summary, Requirements Include:
    Submit a Letter of Request and Certificate(s) of Insurance
    Sign an agreement
    Seek recommendation for approval by the Parks, Recreation, and Beautification Board
    Seek approval by City Council

    Consideration and Request for Approval Process:

    1. Submit a Special Event Permit Application accompanied by a Letter of Request at least 90 in advance of the special event. All application requirements, including insurance, must be met in advance of the request.
    2. Once received, staff will first submit the request to the Parks, Recreation, and Beautification Board for a 'Recommendation for Approval' for City Council.
    3. If the Parks, Recreation, and Beautification Board recommends approval, staff will submit it for City Counicl's consideration. A signed agreement is required in advance of the City Council presentation.
    4. If City Council approves the request, the agreement and ordinance will be signed the following week by City officials.
    5. City staff will close the process by providing copies of the signed official documents.

Special Event Resources and expectations
ADA Accessibility Expectations
  • ADA Accessibility Expectations
    Event organizers are required to comply with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA).

    All venues, structures and activities shall be accessible to persons with disabilities including, but  not limited to, the first aid station, parking, clear paths of travel (to and from, and inside the event), restrooms, seating, signage, drinking fountains, transportation and access to vendors.

    If all areas are not accessible, directional signage or a map or program must be provided to attendees indicating the location of accessible restrooms, parking, drinking fountains, etc. Compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all amendments to the act shall be the sole responsibility of the organizer. 
  • Parking
    All events are required to submit a Traffic Plan and Site Map that provides the scope and size of the event, parking and/or transportation plans to address all traffic concerns associated with the event and area of impact.This includes, but is not limited to:
    • Pedestrian and bicycle access
    • ADA parking locations 
    • Staff and Vendor parking locations