Texas Parks and Wildlife (TPWD) and Denton Parks and Rec offer Neighborhood Fishin'
at the south pond in South Lakes Park
, located at 556 Hobson Ln
. The Neighborhood Fishin' program offers a quality fishing experience to urban families who want to enjoy the outdoors in their own communities. TPWD works with local governments to stock neighborhood lakes with fish that are fun and easy to catch. Click here
for stocking details and a schedule.
- Participants, age 17+, must have a valid fishing license with a freshwater stamp. 16 and under fish for free. Click here to find a location where licenses are sold.
- Fish with pole and line only.
- No more than two fishing poles per person.
Bag Size and Limits
- Five per day for channel catfish or rainbow trout.
- No minimum length.
- For limits on other species, see the Outdoor Annual.
What to Fish
Stocking of channel catfish
begins the third week in April and continues through summer into fall. Fish are stocked approximately every two weeks, except in August. Catfish are attracted to strong-smelling baits. Try using nightcrawlers, chicken livers, shrimp, stinkbait, or cut hot dogs.
prefer cold water. In most parts of Texas, they can survive only in winter. Trout stocking begins in December and continues every two weeks until early March. Cheese, kernel corn, nightcrawlers, red wigglers, and meal worms make good trout baits. For lures, try a small inline spinnerbait or a spoon.