[Skip to page content]
City of Denton logo stacked
X icon

Home Repair Assistance

The City of Denton provides programs to assist low- and moderate-income homeowners who cannot afford to complete major and minor repairs that, if left unattended, would jeopardize the health and safety of occupants.

Home Improvement Program

The Home Improvement Program provides assistance to homeowners with major repairs, through rehabilitation or reconstruction. The program’s purpose is to help low- and moderate-income homeowners who cannot afford to complete the repairs themselves. As a homeowner, you may be eligible to apply if you meet all the following minimum requirements. 

  • Complete the application process and your application and the repair(s) are approved. 
  • You own and currently live in the home as your principal residence for the last two consecutive years. 
  • The home must be located within the city of Denton.
  • Meet current yearly gross household income limits.
Applicants are subject to all program requirements and guideline changes.

Your gross household income total must be at or below the maximum yearly income limits to apply for either the Home Improvement Program or Minor Repair Program

Maximm Yearly Income Limits (effective Oct. 1, 2019):
  • Family size 1: $46,550
  • Family size 2: $53,200
  • Family size 3: $59,850
  • Family size 4: $66,500
  • Family size 5: $71,850
  • Family size 6: $77,150
  • Family size 7: $82,500
  • Family size 8: $87,800

Minor Repair Program

The Minor Repair Program provides assistance to low- and moderate-income homeowners to make essential repairs or add structural accessibility modifications when owner-occupant lacks sufficient resources of their own. As a homeowner, you may be eligible to apply if you meet all the following minimum requirements.
  • Complete the application process and your application and the repair(s) are approved.
  • You own and currently live in a home that is within the city limits of Denton.
  • The home is your principal residence for the last 12 months and you have no intention to market, rent, or sell the property.
  • The home needs a minor repair, which if left unattended, would jeopardize the health and/or safety of the occupants.
Eligible types of repairs are: Mechanical, plumbing, electrical, fire, a building-related deficiency, or a hazard that is detrimental to the life, health, or safety of the occupants.

Applicants are subject to all program requirements and guideline changes.

Home Improvement Program

  • Do I need good credit?
    You must show the ability to pay property taxes, utilities, homeowner property insurance payments, lenders, creditors and the home improvement loan from the City.
  • I still have a mortgage payment, can I qualify for the program?
    Yes, but your mortgage payment needs to be current and up to date. You need to have some equity in your home. Your mortgage loan balance cannot be more than 80 percent of the property’s appraised value for rehabilitation or 70 percent of the property’s appraised value for reconstruction.
  • What are the steps to receive assistance?
    • Complete the application process. You will receive written notice of assistance approval or denial. If assistance is denied, you will receive an explanation of the reasons for denial.
    • Property will be inspected to determine eligibility.
    • If property is eligible work write-up or plans will be completed.
    • Owner will review and approve work write up or plans.
    • Project is sent out to bid. Owner selects contractor from eligible bids.
    • Contracts are prepared, reviewed and signed by owner(s). Work begins.
    • Complete the Successful Homeownership class
    • Work is completed as is a a walk-through the house with staff.
    • Update or obtain appropriate homeowner’s insurance.
    • The contractor provides a one-year warranty for work completed. After this period, it is the responsibility of homeowner to complete all repairs.
    • Payments begin about one month after the project is completed.
  • What kind of help should I receive if my application is approved?

    Rehabilitation: Repairs are made to the house to correct code violations and make needed repairs when a house is in relatively good condition. The homeowner may be required to make arrangements for relocation while the rehabilitation takes place.

    Reconstruction: When a house cannot be repaired, the applicant may be eligible for reconstruction. The existing house will be demolished and new house will be built on the property. The homeowner will be required to make arrangements for relocation while the reconstruction takes place.

  • Does the assistance need to be paid back?

    There are two types of financial assistance:

    Two-part loan that includes a payable and deferred loan. The loan is available in a combination of a low interest loan and a deferred (forgivable) loan over 5 to 20 years. Part of the loan is payable and part of the loan is forgiven every month you live in the house.

    Deferred loan. Forgiveness loan will be provided to seniors, age 62 and above, who are at the income level below 50% of HUD median income. Deferred loans are forgiven monthly over the period of the loan and no payment is required as long as you remain in the home as required and meet all deed requirements.

  • Will a lien be placed against my property?
    Yes, rehabilitation and reconstruction liens are in place for a 5 – 20 year period based on the type and cost of project.
  • What do I need to do after the project is completed?
    You need to be able to pay your monthly loan payment, live in the and pay your property taxes. You must maintain the house and budget to include future maintenance, repair and replacement of appliances. You must maintain a homeowners insurance policy that covers all repairs on the re-constructed home.

Minor Repair Program

  • What type of repairs are eligible?

    Repairs or modifications to achieve accessibility that are urgently needed to make the housing safe, sanitary or habitable are eligible for assistance. Community Development staff will inspect the unit to determine if requested repair is eligible. Eligible Repairs:

    • Repairs necessary to protect the health and safety of the household include repair and/or replacement of failed plumbing fixtures, clogged/broken sewer lines, damaged or exposed electrical wiring, switches, outlets, leaking roofs, etc.
    • Repairs and/or modifications may be made to a structure as necessary to allow accessibility to accommodate a disability when other means are not available to allow accessibility; i.e. building a wheelchair ramp, widening doorways to rooms that must be accessible for living, etc. Program will not pay for portable medical equipment eligible through Medicare/Medicaid.

    When a repair is covered by an insurance policy and only a portion of the cost to repair is covered, the owner must sign over insurance claim payment(s) to the City of Denton before work may begin. Owner insurance funds will be deposited into an escrow account and will be expended first when contractor payments are approved. If owner has already spent insurance funds on repairs, owner must provide proof of payment and detailed documentation of work completed before a decision can be made if the repair is eligible for funding.

  • What type of repairs are not eligible?

    Ineligible Repairs

    • Repairs that are only cosmetic in nature.
    • Perils covered by insurance claims.
    • Repairs to a duplicate item when one is working may not be eligible except to prevent additional deterioration. Example: in a house with two bathrooms where one has a working toilet and the other has a leaking toilet; if the leak can be stopped by closing the water cutoff to the toilet, no repair is allowed since a working toilet is available.

    Unsafe and substandard structures that cannot be made safe for habitation with the maximum allowed or less will not be eligible for assistance. The owner will receive a letter notifying of the hazards and why assistance is being denied. Under such circumstances, Community Development Division will recommend a household seek safe housing as soon as possible.

    Maximum funding per application for owner‐occupied single‐family structures:

    • Up to $10,000 per application may be available for approved, eligible repairs. Repair(s) costing more than $10,000 are not eligible. Once completed, no additional assistance may be requested before one full year (12 consecutive months) has passed.
    • Homes built before 1978 may only be eligible for up to $5,000 for approved, eligible repairs. Repair(s) costing more than $5,000 are not eligible if repair triggers Interim Controls for Lead-Based Paint rules and regulations. One completed, no additional assistance may be requested before one full year (12 consecutive months) has passed. 
    • A lifetime maximum of 5 repairs for any structure or household.

    Once the approved repairs are completed and the contractor(s) receives payment, no additional repairs can be requested or approved.

  • Will the repairs need to be paid back?
    No, assistance does not need to be paid back. It is a grant and no lien will be placed on the property.
  • How do I apply?
    • Contact our office for an application and inspection of the repair
    • Complete the application process
    • Submit required documentation
  • What happens after I apply?
    • Community Development Division staff will complete an inspection to determine if project is eligible. If eligible, you will receive information and forms to apply.
    • Community Development Division staff will verify all the application information and environmental restrictions and regulations. Application and repair request will be submitted for review to the Community Development Administrator. If any information is found to be intentionally falsified, the application will be rejected and the applicant will not be allowed to reapply to this program.
    • You will receive verbal and/or written notice of the date application is accepted or rejected along with details of the decision if application is rejected.
    • In the event your house is 45 years old or older, the Texas Historical Commission may have to be notified.
    • When painted surfaces will be affected in a house built before 1978, the area will be tested for lead based paint. A lead based paint inspection and/or risk assessment shall be conducted by a licensed risk assessor. If your house is found to have lead‐based paint hazards, hazard reduction techniques will be utilized.
    • A bid document will be written up for the repairs needed to correct the health or safety‐related problem. A cost estimate will be completed before bids are sought. Only contractors who carry a minimum of $100,000 liability insurance may perform the work. This program maintains a list of contractors who meet the insurance requirements. This is not a reference list. Any interested contractor who can document appropriate insurance coverage and is not on the most recent list of contractors that are ineligible to work on projects involving federal funds.

    Note: If the bid for the approved emergency repair is more than the maximum allowable funds, the project will not be eligible and the City of Denton will be unable to complete the repair.

    • The contractor/repair company will provide a one‐year warranty for work completed, if possible.
    • Upon final inspection approval, contractor may submit invoice. The payment request will be processed upon project approval and contractor can expect payment within 15 working days from date invoice was approved.
  • Other provisions

    In the event that an applicant feels that his/her circumstances require special consideration, s/he may request, in writing, a waiver from the usual requirements. All requests should specify the requirement(s) to be considered for waiver and state the applicant’s reason(s) or special circumstances why s/he believes a waiver should be approved. The Community Development Administrator will review requests on a case‐by‐case basis. Applicant will be notified in writing of the final decision.

    Dispute: The contractor’s work will be monitored by the applicant, City staff that may include Community Development staff or/and the City of Denton building code inspector. If the applicant considers any work done by the contractor to be unsatisfactory or incomplete, the applicant should advise the contractor of the discrepancy and ask that it be corrected. In the event a dispute exists between the applicant and the contractor with respect to the work, the City shall take appropriate action in accordance with the provisions of the construction contract to assure that the applicant is satisfied before making any payment to the contractor. In the event a dispute cannot be resolved, the Division Director shall consider all pertinent facts and shall decide an appropriate course of action to resolve the dispute.



Contact Us

location icon
Visit Us
601 E. Hickory Street Denton, TX 76205
phone icon
Call Us
(940) 349-7726