Denton Municipal Electric (DME) is owned by the residents of Denton, which makes us your hometown electric provider. Since 1905, DME has maintained high quality service for our friends and neighbors in the greater Denton area.
To request service or disconnection, call Customer Service at (940) 349-8700. The deaf and hearing impaired may contact the City by phone by calling the Texas Relay Service (TDD) at (800) 735-2989
History of DME
In 1892, Robert Storey constructed Denton’s first electric plant on the southwest corner of Bell and Hickory. Soon after A.F. and R.H. Evers purchased the plant and supplied customers around Denton’s town square.
The City of Denton acquired the plant in 1905, to provide both electricity and water to citizens. At the time, electricity was provided only after sundown and a loud whistle blown by utility personnel notified citizens.
A large steam engine was added to the power plant in 1911 and 24-hour service was implemented. The Hickory Street Plant was built in 1917, employing two gas-fired steam generators to produce about 2,000 kilowatts of electricity. In 1935, the Hickory Street Diesel Plant was built across from the old steam plant, but demand soon surpassed capacity.
Construction on the Spencer Steam Plant began in 1953 and by 1955 the first two steam turbines went on line producing 15.3 megawatts of power. During the next two decades three additional units boosted power to 176 megawatts.
In 1975, Denton joined with the cities of Bryan, Garland, and Greenville to form Texas Municipal Power Agency (TMPA) and constructed the Gibbons Creek lignite-fired generating plant located near Bryan, Texas. The plant was later refitted for coal.
In June of 2001, DME sold the Spencer Generating Station. Currently, DME receives approximately half of its energy from the Gibbons Creek generating plant. DME leads the nation with more wind power per capita than any other city in the nation, with 40 percent of its energy on an annual basis being provided by NextEra Energy, LLC, owners and operators of the Wolf Ridge Wind Facility in Muenster, Texas. A small portion of its energy is also provided through a power purchase agreement with DTE Energy through a public/private partnership with the City of Denton landfill to operate a 1.6 megawatt landfill gas to energy project.
In 2016, the City Council approved the Renewable Denton Plan, an industry leading initiative to increase renewable power from 40% to 70% by 2019.