The City of Denton Solid Waste and Recycling Department is housed at ECO-W.E.R.C.S. Resource Recovery Park and offers responsible solid waste management for our community.
At the landfill, an Enhanced Leachate Recirculation system takes the liquid that percolates out of the packed trash in the landfill, and pumps it back through the waste to help break down natural materials. The result of this is an increase in methane gas production, which is a natural byproduct. This gas is transferred to an onsite 1.6-megawatt electric power generator system which sends enough electricity back into the municipal electricity grid to power about 1,600 homes daily.
The facility also offers concrete and asphalt recycling, and composting services for solid waste. There is a Building Materials Recovery (BMR) operation on site. At the BMR, construction and demolition wastes are sorted, and the team recovers materials that can be reused or recycled.
Solid Waste & Recycling is also responsible for all residential trash and recycling collection. The recycling is then sorted at the Materials Recovery Facility operated by Pratt. Nearly 8,100 tons of recycling were collected from over 29,000 homes and processed in 2016.
The Home Chemical Center disposes of unused chemicals to ensure safety of collections staff and to have a less toxic landfill. In 2016, 54 tons of chemicals were diverted from the landfill through this program, and eight of those were able to be reused by Denton residents for free through the Home Chemical ReUse store.
In addition to residential collection, Solid Waste & Recycling offers commercial trash and residential collection. Solid Waste & Recycling is the sole provider of trash collection in the city.
A collection of businesses are located at ECO-W.E.R.C.S. Resource Recovery Park. These businesses help to provide alternative recycling solutions include oil and grease recycling in biodiesel fuel, and liquid container recycling.
The Landfill at ECO-W.E.R.C.S. Resource Recovery Park
1527 S. Mayhill Rd.
Denton, Texas 76208
Hours of Operation
Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Customers will be assessed an additional fee upon exiting the landfill after closing time.
Weigh Station Policies
- Must provide a valid driver's license or state-issued identification card
- All loads must be tarped or tied down, unsecured loads will be charged a $20 fee
- Prohibited items: all liquids (including paint); batteries; hazardous, bio-hazardous, and radioactive waste
- Minimum Disposal Fee, $25
- Gate Rate, $44 per ton
- Unsecured Load Fee, $20 per load
- Special Waste, rate varies depending on material
- Street Tires less than 31" (outside) diameter, $8 (without rims), $16 (with rims)
- Street Tires more than 31" and less than 42" (outside) diameter, $10 (without rims), $30 (with rims)
- Off-road and Street Tires more than 42" (outside) diameter, $35 (without rims), $50 (with rims)
- Appliances with refrigerants, $20 per appliance
- TVs and Monitors, $15 per device
- Small household electronics, no charge
Construction Products Available for Purchase
- Brush, grass, & leaves under 12', $20 per ton
- Brush over 12', $30 per ton
- Whole trees and stumps, $50 per ton
- Screened Sand, $4.25 per ton (when available)
- Soil - select fill, $3.75 per ton
- Clay, $4.50 per ton
- Rocks, $5 per 100 pounds
- Crushed Concrete*, $8 per ton + tax
- Materials Delivery Fee (within the City of Denton limits), $100 per load
*Crushed concrete is 1.25" to minus radbase and meets TxDOT grade 2 and 3 standards.
To check product availability and for large quantity sales, call (940) 349-8080.
Quantities 10 yards (one dump truck load) or less are sold on Saturdays only.
Excess sand, clay, mixed soil, and rock can be sold to the public.
Open 7 am. to Noon:
- Christmas Eve—Dec. 24, 2016
- Christmas Day—Dec. 25, 2016
- New Year's Day—Jan. 1, 2017
- Thanksgiving Day—Nov. 23, 2017
- Christmas Day,—Dec. 25, 2017
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day—Jan. 16, 2017
- Memorial Day—May 29, 2017
- Independence Day—July 4, 2017
- Labor Day—Sept. 4, 2017
- Day after Thanksgiving—Nov. 24, 2017