Our mission is to help teens understand local government so they can develop into young leaders that can make a difference in the community. Our goal is to empower teens to find their voice and inspire the youth they represent within the community they live. We serve to show teens new perspectives on their role in the community and youth-related issues through research, peer discussions, and community interactions.
Cool Beans Layer Run and Chili Cook-Off
Teen Council is comprised of up to 25 student members per school year with only one recruitment period per year. An Executive Team is elected by their peers and includes a president, vice-president, treasurer, secretary, historian, and marketing representative.
The current deadline to apply is April 15, 2017; applicants may be required to interview.
Teen Council Appointment and Selection
Each City Council member may appoint up to three students to Teen Council per school year. All others are selected by City staff via application and interview if needed.
- Must be 13-18 years old
- Must be in the 8th thru 12th grade during the 2017-2018 school year
- Must be a City of Denton resident with full parental/guardian support
- Must be attending a State recognized school or homeschool
- Must commit to attend all meetings during the complete 2017-2018 school year
- Must attend meetings held on the second Tuesday of every month at 5 p.m.
- Must assist in year-round community service opportunities
- Must participate in various special events and fundraisers
- Must be receptive to peer mentors
- Must be able to create, organize, and administer events and/or activities
- Must be willing to make public presentations to peers and local civic groups
- Must be willing to attend the Youth Advisory Summit if selected, may require travel
- Must be willing to promote Denton Teen Council
- Must be organized and keep parents/guardians informed of scheduled activities